Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Working out Bugs In the Breaks

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here and I think I'm posting this in the right spot. I was debating if I should put this in the off-road section, but since I was working 80s part of the Subaru I figured I'd put it here.  So, I bought this rad 1984 GL off of @Bugaru and I couldn't be happier. I think its the coolest thing ever. Also, I believe @GeneralDisorder would like to see this thread seeing as he has history with the car. This is my first Subaru and I'm super excited to learn as much as I can about it.  Now back to why I made this thread. After cleaning the carb and changing all of the fluids, I decided to tackle the BIG problem. The big problem with this car when I bought it was that the brakes did not work what so ever. They weren't even building pressure which lead me to believe the master cylinder was shot. So, removing the master cylinder was not an easy task in this car, a very well constru cted roll cage is kind of in the way.

IMG_0635.JPG.389078a6100353f66d48a58bff0e2afd.JPG

It's in there pretty good. So the first thing I did was remove the radiator hose. After that, I tried for about 30 mins trying to get a wrench in there. Realizing I wasn't getting anywhere I decided to try something else. I went to the hardware store and bought the biggest 3/8 drive extension I could. And I also busted out this neat little impact wrench I had.IMG_0634.JPG.2c18ef69b2eda83fc1d802efd20832d9.JPGIMG_0637.JPG.f9ba0c463dc221c17cf792b23b672b8a.JPG

Oh man did it make life so much easier. 

So after I removed the bolts and fought the master cylinder for a bit, I managed to get it out. And good thing I did, this thing was nasty.IMG_0638.JPG.ce5f33667a655d972907add269a612a5.JPGIMG_0641.JPG.fcf15fbcbc876b9450e1f81a32fb2811.JPG

It appears that the brake fluid has crystallized in the master cylinder. I decided to order a new master cylinder after seeing this. RockAuto decided to take their sweet delivering my new one, it took about two weeks to arrive.

IMG_0844.JPG.cf377d11eb76f37982748dd3840320dc.JPG

Can you tell which one is the new one? Ha Ha. So now came the task of installing the new master cylinder. After I bled the new master cylinder I put it in the car, surprisingly problem free. I bled brakes and the problem seems to be fixed. It actually stops! One problem down, a couple more to go. I still need to Figure out why it has only 20lbs of oil pressure after it warms up, get a new stub axle, patch the rust holes, and a lot of other little things here and there. But those are for another day and for now I'm going to bask in my win. I'll post a video of it driving tomorrow, I need to shuffle some cars around to get it to out and on the street.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang that master cylinder looks like hell. That's awesome you got all of the brakes working again though, I'm glad the other components were still good. The low oil pressure may be a bad sending unit and or gauge. I don't remember anything about either of them but I do know oil pressure wasn't ever a problem.