Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Legacy keyless entry factory upgrade?

I have an 02 Legacy L sedan that I am wanting to upgrade to have the keyless entry system. I was told, and have read, that it is an easy plug and play upgrade but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I removed the glovebox and trim to access the area where the keyless entry controller is supposed to be located/fitted but there’s no extra cable to plug in the module. There’s a door lock timer “box” but it’s connector is different. I’ve looked behind the radio and under the dash on the drivers side. Nothing. Any ideas? I’ve torn apart similar Legacy Outbacks and also my wife’s 03 Legacy wagon and all the connectors are there but not on mine.... am I just going crazy???

There may be a patch harness required. That would be my guess anyway. Look at junk yard cars and see if you can follow the harness back to its origins. In order to work it would have to interrupt the ignition switch harness so if it's on the passenger side it is most likely going to be a long harness leading to the driver's side. Either that or there was a different mounting location and wiring for dealer installed vs. factory installed systems. 

GD