Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Outback Auto 4cyl 189K miles

Rumbling has gotten real bad when driving and rapping mid car when taking off. Seems like the center bearing on this non-serviceable drive shaft is shot. (Diagnosed by Subie tech while in for my free oil change)

Parts Geeks has a remanufactured shaft by A1Cardone for $260 or Rock Auto has new Dorman for $360.

Any thoughts?

Edited by brus brother

I'd get the cheapest one,  I don't have enough volume to know, but i'm not aware of a huge advantage of Dorman over Cardone...i'd almost guess it's the other way around if i had to. 

I would guess there won't be much data (volume/responses/feedback/miles) to quantitatively compare those two aftermarkets being much different from each other.  they don't fail often so most people never need one, they don't generally see 200,000 miles like your OEM one did, therefore the chances of seeing statistically meaningful trends is rare.  outside of a compelling manufacturer/brand difference I would just get the cheapest one.  I'd probably avoid FEBEST for a driveshaft as i've seen their suspension parts have 1-2 years of longevity...but that's not one of your options. 

other options you're surely already aware of but i'll just put here anyway...

they fail so rarely i wouldn't hesitate to see what low mileage used ones are out there.  they aren't worth much since demand is low but i think the exorbitant cost of new OEM keeps used prices high sometimes. 

there are shops that rebuild subaru rear driveshafts but probably a pain unless they can just sell/ship one and you mail yours back for a core. 

Closest yard has one with 80K (?) miles on it at least that's what the junkyard dog barked at the salesman ;-)

They want $250 for it but the salesman said it has a little "catch" in the rotation "all Subarus do" hmmmm.

Its also an hours drive each way.

RockAuto is lately getting some horrible reviews i.e. NO LONGER HAVE ANY LIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Yikes!!

Probably go for the cheapo from Parts Geeks and give it a go.

That’s what I’d do. 

$250, what the crack?  Notches/ lumps are common but I wouldn’t start with one unless it’s free and youre bored. 

Www.car-part.com and find the cheapest/lowest mileage/best response. I hear you on yards I very rarely ever bother going unless it’s an obvious and easy fit otherwise it’s way easier to order from car-part or eBay and just have it on my porch when I get home. 

Edited by idosubaru