Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Outback w/3.0 H6.  When I turn the ignition on, everything comes up as normal.  I can start the car no problem.  There is zero hesitation indicating a weak or weakening battery.  However, after it starts, the audio system completely resets.  Presets lost and everything.  This happens on the 1st start of the day; and occasionally on subsequent starts during the same day. 

Problem started about a 2 weeks ago.  Battery (Optimal Red Top) is 3 1/2 years old.

Recommend you take car to a parts store, or where you bought the battery, to have the battery checked out. Once had a car that would start, but gauge readouts were crazy. Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. There was enough power to start the car, but voltage was down to screw up radio and gauges.

Any national chain can check your battery and alternator for free  NAPA Autozone Advanced Auto Parts Oreillys...etc.  Ask them and they’ll test it on the vehicle, no need to remove it.

also make sure the terminal clamps are clean and tight  

I’d guess the stereo is flaky. All automotive stereos routinely have issues with age.  eBay, car-part.com, subaru forums are good places for reasonably priced used ones.  The 05+ aren’t the simplest to install an aftermarket stereo but there are options  

Google it and see if there are other 05-09 (same generation and layout/interior design) outback’s with similar issues. 

Thanks for your inputs.  A co-worker also suggested the dead-cell theory.  Given the fact that the battery is 3 1/2 years old and  I (and the car) reside in Arizona which is notoriously hard on batteries.  I'll have it checked out.

11 minutes ago, jimbo747 said:

Thanks for your inputs.  A co-worker also suggested the dead-cell theory.  Given the fact that the battery is 3 1/2 years old and  I (and the car) reside in Arizona which is notoriously hard on batteries.  I'll have it checked out.

Batteries always do have a practical failure rate though 3.5 years isn't that long if the battery has never sat for extended periods, been run dead, and has had great, clean, tight posts/clamps.   Given the electrical demands of starting an engine it seems unlikely for the only symptom to be loosing radio presets on a Subaru.  Subaru's have common symptoms and patterns relating to electrical system issues (because it's just a mechanical/electrical system subject to the laws of physics so it's largely repeatable and predictable, not random) and loosing radio presets isn't typically one of them. 

but of course testing is free an easy, so good first step. 

Thanks again.  Your points are what is giving me heartburn over this.  Losing radio presets doesn't seem to be a big enough symptom, which is why I posted the question in the hopes that someone else experienced similar issues.

I was just out on ebay looking at new audio systems.  There are some that really caught my eye (a backup camera would be awesome), but my LL Bean edition (I used to ask myself, "What kind of pretentious d-bag buys the LL Bean edition?" until I saw this one on the lot for a great price) has the automatic air conditioner system.  All of the kits I've seen online are for vehicles equipped with "manual" air conditioners.  If it comes to that, I may be making a new post on the forum...

Thanks again for everything!

Optima batteries ARE crap, but your problem is the stereo. The 05 to 08 Legacy platform stereo's are known for solder joint problems. The only fix is to send it to Panasonic through a dealer and have it refurbished. The cost is somewhere around $650 and takes 3-4 weeks. 

There are NO aftermarket stereo options for that car due to the HVAC controls being integrated. Half the time it's the HVAC controls that go on the fritz not just the stereo. This will get worse over time and may really be a problem. I would highly recommend having it refurbished while that program still exists through Subaru parts.  

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

P.s. Go look on LegacyGT.com (Legacy GT, OB H6 and others w/the integrated HVAC/HU share the same issue) for more info (or google it), but yeah...you're basically scre.....>>>unlucky to have this year and want a HU/receiver upgrade.

Edited by wtdash

one thought, that (i dont think) i didnt see mentioned - Do you lose the presets regardless of if you start the car or not? Say for example, if you turn the key to "on" fiddle with the radio then turn the key "off" sit for a second then back on? 

I'm skeptical on blaming the battery, or anything under the hood for that matter, for the problem. I'd blame the stereo for this problem. You could ultimately put a DMM on the ATT wire of the stereo and see if it dipps when you start the car. If this wire loses power you lose presets. I found a couple wire diagrams but there were a couple variations for that year. Always probe and test. 

http://videojourneysrentals.com/subaru-stereo-wiring-diagram/

They do make aftermarket stereo options for 2007 outback/legy type dash. You end up replacing the entire center with an aftermarket climate control system and there is some transplanting involved. 

edit: i came across this video which kind'a shows you wahts involved 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbIRPShU6U

-Justin

Thanks, Justin

To answer your question, I only lose the presets after I start the engine.  If I turn the key on, everything is fine; once I start the engine, the radio resets. 

Someone else pointed me to the Legacy.gt.com site where I found detailed instructions on installing the aftermarket stereos.

I have found a company in Lakeland, FL that does factory stereo repairs.  I may check with them and see what it would cost to have this unit repaired.

Edited by jimbo747
Additional information

A thought occurred to me. 

Have you replaced the starter, or the alternator recently? How are your connections?

I had a similar problem on my truck a few years back and the power wire to the starter was grounding out which would do the same as you described

-justin

• 4 months later...