Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant temp wires.

Just use the factory EA wire, it'll plug right onto the EJ sender no problems.

I'm not sure what the EJ's wire colour is, mine's hanging in the wind. 

I'd recommend fitting an aftermarket temp gauge that will tell you the actual temp of the engine. The L gauge in the EJ sender will read weird and usually be low compared to the standard operating temp displayed by an EA82 sender unit - not that it tells you much by pointing off to no where...

Cheers

Bennie

6 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Just use the factory EA wire, it'll plug right onto the EJ sender no problems.

I'm not sure what the EJ's wire colour is, mine's hanging in the wind. 

I'd recommend fitting an aftermarket temp gauge that will tell you the actual temp of the engine. The L gauge in the EJ sender will read weird and usually be low compared to the standard operating temp displayed by an EA82 sender unit - not that it tells you much by pointing off to no where...

Cheers

Bennie

Thank you. I read somewhere that the guage would still work, but the normal temp would read around the cold mark. 

There's a yellow/silver (possibly with a grey/silver dot) wire from the ECU. You should be able to find it in the pin out diagram. This wire needs to be hooked into the tacho wire on the back of the instrument cluster. You could try tracing the required wire in the vehicle's loom that's closer to the ECU if you wanted. I tapped in at the round plug at the back of the instrument cluster. 

The tacho will read correctly since it's a 4cyl swap into a 4cyl vehicle. You're correct about the temp gauge on the EJ sender ;)

Cheers

Bennie

8 hours ago, el_freddo said:

There's a yellow/silver (possibly with a grey/silver dot) wire from the ECU. You should be able to find it in the pin out diagram. This wire needs to be hooked into the tacho wire on the back of the instrument cluster. You could try tracing the required wire in the vehicle's loom that's closer to the ECU if you wanted. I tapped in at the round plug at the back of the instrument cluster. 

The tacho will read correctly since it's a 4cyl swap into a 4cyl vehicle. You're correct about the temp gauge on the EJ sender ;)

Cheers

Bennie

OK thank you much. Are these gonna work with the digital instrument panel? I hooked up the EA temp wire to the EJ sensor let the car run for a bit, but there was no reading. 

Digital dash I don't know as I've not worked with these before - is this in an L series or MY?

I would think that the suitable gauge would work, but the temp could be reading so low it doesn't register even one bar.  If you let it heat up to cycle the fans you might see some action on the temp gauge...

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this to shed some fresh light on the digi dash "situation" ;)

Cheers

Bennie