Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello gentlemen (and ladies?)

trying to buy some kyb shocks for my 04 outback or legacy. the two models require different part numbers for shocks. that is where my confusion lays. my car says "outback" on it. My auto title says " 2004 SUBA LEG SW". What do I request shocks for Legacy or Outback? thanks

I’d say Outback , but to be sure check your VIN with a dealer over the phone and they’ll tell you. 

Or maybe post the begining of your VIN and other Outback owners or knowlegble sources will assist here. Just leave off the last 6 digits if your concerned about ID theft etc. 

Hi,

Just to add/heads up, SOME parts places will call it an 'Outback' whiles others note it as a "Legacy Outback". Depends on whom you ask. And each state has its own labeling method so titles are not always reliable sources.

td

• Like 1

thanks. I did send an email to KYB with the VIN and the reply was, "Based on your provided VIN information, it appears the following struts will be the correct options for your vehicle: 334447, 334448, and 341276.  You will want to use these with the mount and boot kits that you mentioned below"

note - they do say "it appears..."

8 hours ago, trapper jim said:

thanks. I did send an email to KYB with the VIN and the reply was, "Based on your provided VIN information, it appears the following struts will be the correct options for your vehicle: 334447, 334448, and 341276.  You will want to use these with the mount and boot kits that you mentioned below"

note - they do say "it appears..."

that is "cover your backside" speak... LOL

The Outback was based on the Legacy platform - basically, taller suspension, a few trim bits, and higher end options were the only real differences for a long time.