Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roughly what trade-in would a dealer offer for a 2007 that runs but needs an engine?

Completely dependent on the dealership. The one where I worked still had pretty good demand for older Subarus, so it wouldn't be difficult to sell once it was fixed.

The service manager also had a good relationship with a couple JDM engine suppliers, which made it possible to reliably get decent engines without spending a fortune (although the VVT SOHC 2.5s were the most difficult). Also with a large service department, it was easier to shuffle things around to free up a mechanic to do the labor.

I was never involved in the transaction, so I have no idea what dollar amount they offered, but it wasn't uncommon to get cars like that in trade and fix them, so it must have been a decent offer.

But, I can completely see how a dealership in a different area might make a completely different decision. If the used market wasn't as strong, or the service department didn't want to deal with it. They might just send it to the auction as-is, in which case they'll probably only clear a few hundred bucks (keep in mind, most dealerships are willing to take a loss on a trade, depending on what it's being traded)

Doubt it would be more than $1000.....

But.... trade ins at dealers are usually a very poor idea. They work the numbers around and add it to the back end of the loan or other unsavory financial trickery that basically ends up with them getting your car for free or extremely low cost. Then it either will get fixed if it's nice, or thrown to the auction. 

I have bought plenty of trade ins from my dealer friends and I rarely pay more than $500. Highly doubt that's what the customer thought they were getting for them. 

GD