Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap 2003 into 2009 forrester?

Longer story but short is that I blew my engine on my 2009 Forrester and it needs to be replaced. I have a friend who has a wrecked 2003 Forrester and I have that engine that was pulled with everything attached in case it was needed. It was running well when pulled out last weekend. However, I can't get a straight answer if that older engine will fit in my 2009 vehicle? Anyone know these things inside and out and can let me know.

The 2003 VIN #JF1SG656X3H764762

2009 VIN# JF2SH64669H765037

Heard that the engine model went from a 'xxxxxxG' in the 2003 to a 'xxxxxH' model designation in the 2009 or something like that so I'm hoping it's a minor change.

I was told that the 2003 would definitely drop right into up to a 2008 but is questionable into a 2009. Not sure if that's convenient BS from the mechanic who wants to sell me an engine with his markup added instead of installing what I have. I'm hoping somebody can explain the differences and give me a definative answer.

Hi,

welcome to site. More searching here and online will get you an answer. 

But the short answer is No. Not 'drop in'. 2006+ had i-AVLS on the heads, so that means a no to. Also the wiring is different.  And the intake manifold due to an older style...but technically it'll bolt up.

I'd guess the shortblock might work, but I also just read on here that the 2009+ blocks may be different enough to cause issues. 

Best option is find 2009+ EJ2.5 - watch out for the PZEV versions as they're also different.

And it depends on how much of the engine is toast - just the shortblock? Or the heads too.

Remember the HG issue..any USED engine is susceptible. 

Sandy, I think we have met and talked a few times, if you are the same Sandy that lives in the Greenbriar subdivision. I am Larry, the guy that walks the two yorkies in the neighborhood. Drop me a PM, I have some ideas, as I had an engine swap done not that long ago.

Reman short block from Subaru. They are $2150 and come with a 3yr/36k warranty. Best deal going by far. The later model EJ's command a premium in the used market. You'll pay almost as much for a 100k used engine as a 0 mile short block from Subaru with a warranty that can't be beat.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1