Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL 3AT Governor won't come off!?

So I've been trying to figure out why my subie has been shifting hard and slippin. Changed the fluid, tranny filter and pan gasket. Still slips so I thought I'd check out the governor. I got a new one since it was only $20. Upon trying to unscrew the old one figured out that the governor is not one piece. Rather it's two cast pieces put together. Even tried hammering them together so the outer shell wouldn't spin but now it just busted off leaving the inner flanged piece. Wish I could word it better but I'll add some pics. WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO TAKE THIS THING OFF?! Pain it's what makes my subaru a working subaru lol

I may be talking of the Modulator it screws into the passenger side of the tranny right next to what I believe is the speedocable. At first I thought that the governor and modulator where the same thing. It's a little bell shaped diaphram, I was finally able to replace it after litreally having to pry part of it off. Should I still check the governor if my transmission continues to slip? @silverhelme  @DaveT  excuse my lack of knowledge in the part names, this is the first auto vehicle I've owned. Needless to say I miss the manual life :headbang:

Slipping is more likely a band or clutch wear. 

Governor is part of what decides when to upshift.

The modulator is on the side, down low.  1 vacuum line to it.   Also helps with the decision about when to upshift.   Speedo cable screws in on top of the 3AT

that thing on RHS of trans in the side just above the pan is what you speak of (and yes, a vacuum line connected to manifold vac), cant recall correct service book name - only when I was pulling mine of 4WD 3AT did I realise it was loose, think it was fine thread screw in. Constructed a bit like oil GAUGE sender unit like a bell crimped over a base housing
/ Might explain why mine used to hang on to gears when flooring it, and really needed it to shift up.

Have you cleaned all the usual crud off? I thought these were 17mm or 14mm hex for normal box wrench (open end spanner Aussie English)

Edited by jono

The vacuum modulator on 86 and up 3ATs is just round, no hex flats.  I just use a pair of channel lock pliers to loosen them.  Again, I only know 86 and up - on these, there is a switch that the gas pedal trips if you are floored or very near floored.  Called the kick down switch, it delays an upshift indefinitely,  or triggers a downshift if you floor it and there is a lower gear to switch to.