Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 Legacy head gaskets are leaking. Live in So. NH and looking for a recommendation for a shop in the so nh, mass north shore area. My regular mechanic does not do them. Trying to stay away from the dealers..Have spoke with other mechanics but NO ONE has given me any confidence. I know there are independent engine shops within an hour from us but really want an experienced shop. 

Any idea what it might cost for both sides?

Why is there not a solid thread on this MB about all the head gasket issues?? 

What is blue goo and does it work?

thanks,

The 08 typically has an external HG leak. I waited for my timing belt service interval (105K miles) and had the hgs replaced at that time. They were leaking but not horrendous yet. Keep an eye on your fluids while you search.
I learned my lesson after my 05 started leaking just AFTER the TB was changed. At 186K miles, it is leaking oil so badly that I could lease it out to reseal driveways.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for a local mechanic.I'm sure some neighbors will chime in.

There are way too many posts regarding HG issues to mention. Use the search function and check the various forums including the repair manual. I know there are variety of youtube videos on HG replacements. A quick search of the Repair Manual forum on this site doesn't highlight HGs. I may have missed it under "engine" but perhaps your observation is valid in this regard.

The USMB is a wealth of information and friendly members. I am mostly an armchair mechanic but a frequent flyer (and beggar of information) on the site. Just yesterday, a top poster described the year that Subaru of America modified their choice of HG material.

Based on site recommendations, I opted for the turbo HG when having my 08 done. It seems that subsequently, SOA also changed their HG material to reflect this choice.

Edited by brus brother

8 hours ago, ndet29 said:

What is blue goo and does it work?

because there's a million repair items that could be useful, lots of variations, possibilities, etc. 

resurface the heads and install OEM gaskets and a complete AISIN timing belt kit. 

subaru coolant conditioner stops nearly all initial, external, coolant leaks of factory installed OEM gaskets.  read that carefully - i choose every single word specifically, if you dont' meet each qualifier then it may not, or will not, work.  it doesn't stop oil leaks or overheating at all. 

11 hours ago, ndet29 said:

There's tons of threads about it, but the issue with the gaskets is very simple for your model. They leak oil. They need to be replaced with 642's. End of subject. 

The biggest issue isn't the gaskets or the problem with the gaskets - it's the procedure that seemingly can't be done correctly by the MAJORITY of shops out there. Including the dealers (they use the wrong gasket entirely). 

From head bolts being replaced (not required and frequently detrimental), to head bolts being installed in the wrong holes, to stripped head bolt holes, to the wrong gaskets and surface prep. There are many places to go wrong on this job and THAT is the problem. If you don't know what you are doing you can REALLY screw it up. 

GD

Very helpful and I am learning. Have recently spoken with two shops that do a lot of these.

One says 4200$ which includes resurfacing the heads, valve lapping and removal of the engine.

Other shops says if it never got hot  $15-1700.     aftermarket( best) gaskets and they leave the engine in. This is from a long time well respected foreign  car repair shop about 1/2 hr from us. Their mechanic has done "hundreds" and they stand behind their work and "don't have problems with them"

While we are not making an immediate decision it is nice to know our options. We do like the car and hate to dump it. Have a nice 2.0 2015 Impreza also. Belive the 2.0 never has the HG problem??

Based on idosubaru's criteria blue goo is not for us.. like the detail.thxs 

thanks to all,

Mine was done by a Subie tech and they did not remove the engine. The 15-17 range seems reasonable. 

As mentioned your vintage leaks oil. As long as you watch your fluids, you might want to wait for the timing belt change interval (105K miles) as they will be halfway into the engine at that point.

• Like 1

You can do the HG in the car without removing the engine. 

Any shop that specializes in Subaru's that do high quality work will more then likely remove the engine to do it. 

It doesn't take any longer in the grand scheme of things, and you can to a much much nicer job or prepping the block surface, cleaning out the bolt holes, and over all doing the job. 

Typically the plate in the bell housing should be resealed because they start to leak around the time of the HG failure. 

If you want the very basic "just replace the HG" yeah 1.5-1.7 is reasonable. But a complete job resealing the engine, New timing components and belt, water pump should be about 2.5k depending on location. 

It sounds like you like your car so may have had it for a while? Call Subaru and see if they will "participate" in the repair. Subaru definitely knows their head gasket issue. They participated in my repair and my dealership participated in the other half. Never hurts to ask.

Whatever you do, definitely have the engine removed and heads resurfaced or you'll just be back at the same problem. Timing belt do it even before due if you're going to do this.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:04 AM, ndet29 said:

One says 4200$ which includes resurfacing the heads, valve lapping and removal of the engine

that's crazy.  GD charges $2,250, impeccable reputation, and the highest cost Subaru market in the country.   Almost twice the cost?