Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Side mirror replacement 98 Subaru Outback Limited

The driver's mirror broke off on my 1998 Legacy Outback Limited, it took the two top screws attached to the black plastic piece with the mirror. The screw in the recessed hole is wanting to just strip and is apparently torqued a lot. 

I was curious if I could just remove the whole triangle piece the mirror attaches to and just have a recycler send me the replacement mirror with that triangle piece. 

Thanks in advance. 

Yes and I'm sure there are plenty of them in the self serve yards in Denver.

Pull the door triangle trim - forward on the door.  It pops off, gently pry it off close to the pins.  A painters 3 in 1 tool works great.

Remove the Door panel

Remove the electrical connector

Remove the 3 screws holding the mirror.

• Thanks 1

Make sure you open your passenger window at least halfway first, one of the screws in the "triangle shaped" bracket are hidden under where the window blocks if the window is up all the way. Once you take the door panel off you wont be able to control your windows, so do it before you disconnect everything. 

**TIP FOR OTHERS** LOL, do not try to open the mirror itself, it is factory sealed and the only way to "open" it is to break a couple of plastic tabs which can not be replaced without buying a new mirror. I had to use JB weld to get mine back to good working order again. 

• Like 1