Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI TPS pinout?

Am I looking in wrong places? Cannot come up with this fellas wiring needs. 

He is a four pin unit and a Sensor type rather than the early Switch type. I guess this is reflected in a diagram cast into the plastic near the base of the pins. It is like an angle representation, so I guess it is the output

That would make one pin sorted. The other pins would be for ECU 5V power (+) in, another for a ground/earth/ neg(-) connection.

Got me what fourth pin would be.

Early EA82 mpfi ran three pin TPSwitches on three plug ECUs, then with four plug ECUs went four pin TPSensors

And then there is SPFI four pin sensors

WHOA! Calling confusion here. Spiders ran four pin TPSensors and I know I have a four plug ECU Tourer and I think I only pulled a three pin TPSensor off it

AND I also had something use only two pins of the three!

Hand up if I confused you...

Just tried to upload a pic and got 540 kB limit notice.

Is that total contribution to the entire forum not just a post?

Edited by jono

Here's an old thread that has some pinout info:

I seem to remember another thread suggesting a Isuzu i-Mark TPS as a substitute but has to be hard-wired in.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10064896&cc=1176049&jsn=542

Looks like AutoZone carries that sensor in Wells TPS4085:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Position-Sensor-WELLS-TPS4085-fits-1989-Isuzu-I-Mark-1-5L-L4/272695884528

My Calif 87 GL is 3 plug ECM with 4 pin TPS, just like the jpg I posted in this thread linked here:

Good luck jono!

Edited by czny
more info found

Thanks. Got some reading material now, but I notice references are made to wire codes and ABCD.

I have no references of wires or diagram to show which way up or lettering at this stage

What is handy is idea of four pins is really two separate circuits of idle switch and output V for ECU

I only need the V output so possibly the pin next to angle symbol pin will be the 5V ECU input

Time to hit elfreddo up for what he knows

First easy place to look is in the Haynes manual. Yes, there it is, I said it.  I recall a picture diagram in there for the MPFI TPS. I couldn't tell you if there's a SPFI TPS diagram in there though. 

You should find the SPFI TPS pin out in the SPFI conversion document. My copy is in a box somewhere, but I'm sure there will be a digital copy on the forum or a link to it off site. 

Cheers

Bennie

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

First easy place to look is in the Haynes manual. Yes, there it is, I said it.  I recall a picture diagram in there for the MPFI TPS. I couldn't tell you if there's a SPFI TPS diagram in there though. 

You should find the SPFI TPS pin out in the SPFI conversion document. My copy is in a box somewhere, but I'm sure there will be a digital copy on the forum or a link to it off site. 

Cheers

Bennie

MPFI throttle sw from Haynes manual........

MPFI throttle sw.pdf

thanks. looks like documents I scanned a few years ago - upside down look.

Given the differences I may just have to shout myself more new stuff like a universal TPSensor.

Currently wiring in a little ebay purchase - sealed 12V to 5V unit to power things up and the lean bias logic gas/propane enrichener device. Can still smell dust from the floor insulation

5 hours ago, jono said:

thanks. looks like documents I scanned a few years ago - upside down look.

Scanned that from my Haynes book but Brother scanner has hinged lid to it. No choice in book orientation so just rotate it twice with view button at top of Adobe Reader.

Referring to 1st Haynes tps adj page for US spfi:

4 pin tps - A & B conns are off-idle switch. C is wiper & D is V input. This I know from checking mine on spfi body.

Edited by czny
  • Thanks 1

Diagram is pretty thanks but the way Subaru change some things subtley I would not trust it with electrickery going through it to fry my little piece of Mornington Peninsula design. 

Heck they started labelling these pins with letters, now it's numbers?! Maybe to indicate different rotation of throttle which started with the spider

Can you post some info on the gas adjuster?\

If you dont need the throttle switch, the direction of rotation doesnt really matter. Just swap the 2 outermost wires so that ground is at the closed throttle side and your 5v is on the open throttle side.

What is the 12v to 5v converter for?

WWW.peelinstruments.com.auPrettyy certain their CP401GAS LBL lean bias logic microprocessor controlled emission air/fuel ratio controller for American systems to suit air valve type system is NOT on website but you may find info elsewhere on the web.

Did you mean if I don't need idle switch?

OK so the sweeping sensor type can be wired in reverse to alter clock turn direction info?

This unit CP401 uses an O2 input and TPSensor tap so the Series one TPSwitch will not work. Lucky I found various Series Two TPSensors to suit the flat manifold throttle body

No ECU in the ute, and TPSensor works on ECU supplied 5V andI don't intend to fry my $400 CP401 by giving it 12V ! Whe it expects 5V or less from TPSensor

Is a simple waterproof eBay purchase

Has four wires. 12V + 12V -  5V + and 5V -

I have found I can join the two earths to earth to body, shove 12V in and the 5,V out gives 5.1 V

Trying to work out bestlocations under dash and get wiring through firewall and bits without looking g untidys

Edited by jono