Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing change on belt retension ?

Has any experienced an idle speed or timing change after retension EA82 timing belts?

I swapped in a used water pump ( pre-tested emoji smile) and noted belts were a little slack after about ,50,000 km

I thought the slack was on tensioner side so as not to affect timing or idle. Didn't check did I ? Reckon maybe 50 rpm slower idle. Got a little whistle as well...

We always check timing when changing anything with timing, it's just the right thing to do..;)Distributor timing will affect idle speed for sure too advanced it will idle higher too retarded it will idle lower.

And as well the way i see it...sometimes even with a timing light we may not make the mark to factory specifications due to carbon build up on valves and piston heads and which in turn decreases the combustion chamber size  i.e after I did my head gaskets I didn't get all the carbon off because I was in a pinch and there was alot so by setting to factory for a starting point I'm pinging because I'm firing early at factory settings because the the size has become smaller so I need to compensate by retarding at the distributor... and it becomes a drivability issue of watching temp, power and listening for pinging.... some pinging is normal but constant is not.

I'm with Dave.. I had a idler pulley die, never noticed the whistle or whine but over period of 3-4 days it started screaming i thought it was the water pump bearing but nope same area though it's the one that is hard to get to below the alternator... :eek:

Edited by Len Dawg
  • Like 1

more or less pressure on a faulty bearing in a tensioner or something maybe?  get a long dowel or screwdriver and use it to listen to each spinning item in the timing.  just put the pointy end on the bolt holding it and put your ear to the other end.  

if all the bearings are good maybe retime it just to make sure its good.