Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Forester with 90000 miles.

About 3000 miles ago I changed the power steering fluid with the Dexron III.  Everything was fine but recently it developed a problem: when the motor is cold the power steering starts binding.  To avoid binding I put the transmission in neutral, raise the RPMs a little and the problem goes away.  I do not experience any problems with the warm engine.

YouTube search shows that I probably have sticking valves in the power steering rack and recommends Seafoam TransTune. 

Has anybody used it? 

Will it help?

And the main question: did I cause it?

I am looking for some help/suggestion,

Sam

14 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

no experience with models this new, but both my soobs began sucking air into the fluid - visible bubbles/foaming in the reservoir. They both whined, the WRX had 'pulsing' vibration in steering wheel.

Thanks Texan!

Have you found the point where the air was entering the system?

Update.

While checking everything out I also checked the belt that I installed about 5K miles ago.  It looked fine but I decided that a little more tension will not hurt.

That fixed everything.  Apparently it slipped a little with the engine cold.  Now everything is back to normal.  My thanks go to @1 Lucky Texan for the idea of checking the hoses, etc.

• Like 2