Ultimate Subaru Message Board

18 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

Thanks - I'll take a look.  Appears they're canuck-positive.

Btw, are links to other Subaru fora legal here?  I posted one a while ago and the entire post disappeared  - I assumed a mod had yanked it for that reason.

They also had the best price for the parts I wanted (lower box part of intake filter box) BEFORE the discount. Maybe it's the shippers that are expensive though?

I haven't had an issue posting links at either forum for the other but, maybe there's a threshold for new members before they can post non-text stuff?

dunno.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:02 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

Another option is to go to forged pistons, and the JE's we have been using for the last few years on our turbo builds are surprisingly quiet. They have a skirt coating also. They are a 2618 alloy. We never knurl the forged pistons - we just let them do their thing. If they slap - it's almost considered a badge of honor. Means you have forged pistons. The kids love that. 

I can't be the only person who finds this weird.  Now that my (rebuilt stock) EJ25D is back in the '99 OBW I've been noticing a bit of (what must be) slap, and it's unpleasant.  I think if I'd thought a little further ahead and anticipated this rather than being hell-bent for finishing the job after all the delays, I would have had the pistons knurled.  I'm pretty certain I'll have it done as a matter of routine in the future.  So can you give me a ballpark cost for knurling a set, and is there any downside to doing it?

7 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

could it be a weak timing belt tensioner?

Possible but unlikely - I put a new belt and toothed idler in but re-used the tensioner, since it appeared to be okay.  But I'll probably pop the cover off and revisit it to make sure.

I'd still like the knurling questions answered, though.

I have absolutely no idea what pistons these are.  I think I asked previously (like before I installed them during the rebuild) how to ID them but didn't get an answer.  And it's not as simple as what shipped with a '99 EJ25D, as the original short block was trashed (spun bearings) and I bought a used replacement that (I think) is "somewhat newer".  So, assuming I can recall enough detail about them, how can I tell what they are?  How many variants are there?

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a penetrating oil made by Chemsearch. 

GD

The question you were answering was "Yield"?

I'd love to give this stuff a try simply 'cause you say it rocks so hard.  But I can't remember the last time a company made it so difficult to buy their product.  There's no information online and a series of phone calls has just brought dead ends.  They claim they're going to get someone to call me re: Canadian distribution, but my hopes aren't high.  Do you buy it direct from them, or do they actually have distributors?  I'm going to be sailing in Montana next week, so if someone down there carries it I could pick some up.

Edited by jonathan909

I buy it through a wholesale rep here in my area. She has been representing Chemsearch for many, many years. I can dig up her email and perhaps she can put you in touch with the right people. 

You get the run-around because they really aren't interested in selling onesies and twosies. They sell cases, or multiple cases. I'm a small-fry in that I buy about one case annually and I don't use any of their other products. They are full-on commercial, industrial, and government/military.

Oh yeah - you can't buy less than a case BTW. They simply won't sell it. And it's about $200 with shipping, etc for one case from CA to OR. 

GD

12 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I buy it through a wholesale rep here in my area. She has been representing Chemsearch for many, many years. I can dig up her email and perhaps she can put you in touch with the right people. 

If you could, I'd really appreciate it - PM me.

You get the run-around because they really aren't interested in selling onesies and twosies. They sell cases, or multiple cases. I'm a small-fry in that I buy about one case annually and I don't use any of their other products. They are full-on commercial, industrial, and government/military.

Oh yeah - you can't buy less than a case BTW. They simply won't sell it. And it's about $200 with shipping, etc for one case from CA to OR. 

GD

Naturally, but that's the whole idea behind "stocking distributor", right?  Manufacturer sells MOQs to disty and disty sells smaller quantities those customer who want/need them.  Of course, if they only have reps and not distys, they may get a little huffy over people who want to buy onesies, but they've brought it on themselves.  The least they can do is just explain their sales policy rather than giving a brother the runaround.  All they have to do is say so.  If the stuff's that great maybe I should spring for a case.

Edited by jonathan909

Finally got ahold of the  Chemsearch guy out in Ontario.  FYI, they've renamed the product "FREE".  Now I just want to get my hands on a single can so I can try it before laying in a whole case, so I may give the ebay guy(s) a try.

[Later...]

Here I thought that all the impossible-to-deal-with companies were semiconductor manufacturers.  nVidia's arrogance isn't to be believed, Broadcom's anus is a black hole that has consumed all reason, and an ATI applications engineer was once ordered by his manager to apologize to me for being a d!ck.  But Chemsearch is giving them a run for their money.  If I decide I like this stuff after buying a can from the ebay guy (for what will probably turn into $50 plus the hassle of getting it here from Montana, because there's no way for me to try it out otherwise), Chemsearch will sell me a case...at a price to be discussed later, because they won't quote it to me now.

And American manufacturers wonder why everyone just wants to buy from China now.

Edited by jonathan909