Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale won't crank

• 1991 Loyale non-turbo won't crank. All other electric is ok. Happened after driver side timing belt broke. and loud backfire.
  • Clutch safety switch ok. And have learned that EA82 is non interference design. SPFI. Have looked at Haynes book. all four fusible links next to battery are ok.
Edited by rickyhils
Adding missing info

Dee. Thanks for the reply. Weak push on connector negative at starter motor was the problem. Was most likely ready to fall off and the backfire shook it free. And, yes,  the first thing I did was check those four fusible links near the battery. . I once had one of those get corroded and the whole car was dead-in-the-water. Thanks again.

====Weak push on connector negative at starter motor was the problem. Was most likely ready to fall off ==== exactly what I was going to say.. normal driving like any other day and then bam! Went back out to start and power everything but the starter I was lucky to have found it on a dark and freezing cold night! I was Ssstrrooking out!:blink:

Good that you located it when you did. Spending time to verify all connections to the engine is what is needed. With the vibration and the environmental elements (oil from engine flying all about over time).

Thanks

And if anyone looking for 1994 Loyale ECU box I just might have one that works. It came from Oregon. And do you know if  California purposed ECU boxes have special coding inside them?