Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 TPS with extra connector

Found two types of TPS with the extra connector off three wires for EA82

One is a round plug with a triangular pin order

Second is close to oval shape with pins in a straight row

Excluding SPFI there is six different TPSwitch and TPSensor part numbers in my catalogue

PITA the numbers stamped ate JECS numbers not Subaru part numbers.

Idon't know which one is which

At least the spfi is a four pin made by Hitachi - no numbers

EDIT....no numbers stamped in metal plate of Hitachi spfi but are cast in black casing as CZNY has stated 

Cast as SERA484- then stamped with a single 2 after on same line

On line below  stamped or etched 1327That'ss spfi

The non spfi JECS brand are plate stamped A22-000 R02 and have anti clock arrow so when installed suits the clockwise turning from closed to open throttle shaft

Now makes me wonder.I was googling clockwise operation TPSensors. Wonder if category is based on throttle direction or sensor direction?

A universal fit clock or anti clock is sounding good solution

Looking at four wire spider wire coloursI am hoping Fuji were consistent across TPS range in B being ECU earth, W being ECU 5V power supply to TPSensor and R carry result back to ECU

Blue/White idle switch

I tried a diode continuity test function on DMM between each wire and all pins of the three pin tips with wires and plug.

Got no link between anything which is not whatI expected

TPS is just as part not on throttle to activate anything in this continuity test

The AUDM series 1 RX turbo TPSwitch has A22-610 972 stamped in its backing plate.

Its three pins not marked but manuals indicate if you look at pins with plug locator central slide alignment guide bottom central, they are A C B

In that order C common black ecu ground in centre

A &C is idle switch

C &  B is flat out switch that operates @32° (or 47° AUDM only)

Now curious as to Series 1 Vortex XT non turbo were

39 minutes ago, jono said:

69 mm centres for mounting screwd series one

~49 mm for spfi and XT spider and straight line plug wired in plug

Have you looked at some of late 80s Isuzu models like i-Mark or Trooper for TPSes?

1989 2.6L L4 Trooper

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1002856&cc=1177310&jsn=415

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/isuzu,1989,trooper,2.6l+l4,1177310,fuel+&+air,throttle+position+sensor+(tps),5136

Thanks. I did. One price scared me! In oz efi hardware do a universal any direction for about A$150

Some success though with these titled TPSensors with three wires and plug out the side

Funny feeling never seen the wired plug connected!

Roughly fitted to throttle body without screws ( be easier with!) I got no desired response ie Ohms readings between pins on TPS body BUT got something between white wire (possibly ECU 5V supply in car loom?) and black wire

DMMI. 20k Ohms scale got 8,630 Ohms at closed throttle and as I progressively opened throttle to maximum I got progressive decrease in numbers to 2,380 Ohms

I think this is allI need for a signal for my propane lean bias logic unit!

It runs opposite to Impco pollution gear of ages ago. You set whole propane set up to run lean, then let this unit trickle feed via a solenoid - richening vapours from converter to mixer(carb).

Unit wants O2 input and TPSensor

Research done and shared.

Thanks for help and reading

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Seen Rock has these tps for over $300. Maybe they are TPSwitch at normal pins and TPSensor at wire plug pins?

Two in one unit.maybe

Ya know, when stock on items RockAuto dwindles down because they are out of production, RockAuto jacks up the prices. I have seen it happen recently with Subaru efi fuel pumps.

Bet you can find those Standard Prod  or other brand TPSes elsewhere for less - like I did for the Subaru distributor optical pickups. Products may be plain boxed or unboxed bulk, but they are same stuff to the core.

Can't recall where I asked about this tps before, someone suggested it was for automatic but not specific on year or models in their answer. My GLTA was series one auto and it was a plain three pin switch tps

Just now, czny said:

know, whenoverseastems RockAuyearwindlo ures down becradiators are out of productio n, RockAuto jacks up the prices. I have seen it happen recently with Subaru efi fuel pumps.

Bet you can find those Standard Prod  or other brand TPSes elsewhere for less - like I did for the Subaru distributor optical pickups. Products may be plain boxed or unboxed bulk, but they are same stuff to the core.

Mate, here in Oz 2006 i priced Series 1 knock sensor A$745. Rock had one this yesr US$196 but got genuine from parts depot USD 145 !

We are now seeing alloy radiatorx On ebay  about $600 they were 120 to 160 until our Gov added gst.to our small overdeas Buys

Thanks for even more detail. While you were busy doing that I checked my daily driver...it has the.round plug off the TPS side ...hehere's me wearing it out all these years - it is not been required for basic old propane. The round plug with pins in triangular arrangement also has red, black and white wires. Also on 20 k Ohmscale between black and white wires about 10,000 Ohms gradually drops to 2300 pprogressively as I open throttle to fully open. Wow...never had to test.a tps until now. I can use this for my pre-turbo engine install to get enrichener in and happy.

Noticed last night my O2 reader not getting signal. Step one...fix this !

Endless ain't it?

Bottom line isI don't need to try find alternative TPS to suit 8 mm D shaft....been lurking in my shed all this time

Several reasons why I want to sort this tps need is to satisfy engineer or authorities that it is all working to Euro 3 or 4 spec when EA82T finally goes into dedicated propane only fuelled ute

Second reason isI have two different sized Impco systems. The smaller capacity is right on the sweet spot for 1800 cc flat four in non turbo

I ran the turbo on larger capacity set up just fine, sweet and dandy thankyou very much but it had odd. characteristics if I really tried to race it. Hoping O2 sensor control will resolve this ad well as authorities

To run larger capacity gear on my EA82Mongrel it had lean bogs down low and WICKED performance from 5000 to 6500

If this lean bias logic can resolve lean bogs using larger capacity system in NA...I will hurt my face smilingi

OK been in printed Subaru manual heaven and found the triangular pattern three pin round pigtail plug off the three pin TPS is a1987 EA82 mpfi

Also found the three pins lineal in near oval flatter style pigtail plug is after...in my excitement forgot if it was 1988 or 1989 manuals

Need to study my photos to confirm which wire takes the 5V and returns signal Voltage to ECU

Under the one project to completion at a time theory need to finish this before EJ20 pinout for AUDM Impreza

Mate, memeories fade over time. Lucky Subaru stuck with I think same ECU pin numbers and wire colours for these over the changes.

Black is ECU supplied GND

White is ECU supplied 5V

Red takes result signal to ECU

BUT my round pot. plug differs from 87 manuals !

It delivers a reduction of only 0.4V from closed to fully open

88 lineal plug as in your pic above unit does 0.5 reduction 

These all have the higher reading closed and drops as throttle opens

I have to check with designer and manufacturer of fuel adjuster if it can handle such small changes

The TPS pot. checks fine to specs in factory books but may be too old for new millennium