Ultimate Subaru Message Board

20 hours ago, lmdew said:

3 steps as it goes in.  When you mount the trans, if the TC is all the way back, the flex plate bolts will pull the TC about a 1/8" forward.

The trans never came out, just the engine and TC. The engine was seized so couldn't undo the flex plate to TC bolts. It actually broke a rod. There were pieces of the rod stopping the crank shaft  from turning. The problem I'm having is getting the TC back in the  trans to its 1/4 inch out position.

It looks like the Cclip that stops the TC from coming out, now wont let the TC go back in that extra 1/2 inch. 

Edited by steve56

18 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Lift and turn. Gentle pressure. That's all it takes unless something is F'd. 

GD

I think I found the problem. There is a Cclip that normally stops the TC from  coming out when removing the engine, is not letting the TC go back in that last 1/2 inch. Its a 2004 Impreza and the Cclip sits about an inch behind the front trans seal. It looks like the Cclip needs to be permanently removed to get the TC back to its proper position. Need to know if that method is the procedure I should use.

Steve did the foot long shaft come out with the converter?  Nothing holds the actual t/c in place but the bolts to the flex plate.  No c- clip.  Your issue is with the inner shaft.  

Do not remove any C clip to install!  Remove just the T/C and then the shaft and see what the fix is.

5 minutes ago, montana tom said:

Steve did the foot long shaft come out with the converter?  Nothing holds the actual t/c in place but the bolts to the flex plate.  No c- clip.  Your issue is with the inner shaft.  

Do not remove any C clip to install!  Remove just the T/C and then the shaft and see what the fix is.

6 minutes ago, montana tom said:

Hi Tom Just the TC came out engine. There is a foot long shaft that comes out and goes in with no problems and is undamaged. 

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

That is the oil pump drive shaft and there is a wire retainer that holds it to the torque converter. Snap the pump drive to the TC and install them together.

GD

The shaft and the TC don't seem to be connected by a wire retainer.

tc shart.jpeg

tc.jpeg

11 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It's usually on the pump drive. Sometimes they fall off. Look around. 

GD

Haven't found a wire retainer under the car, What does the retainer look like.  Is it safe to put the torque converter back on without the wire retainer?

Hi  Lucky. Thank you for posting that info on the wire retainer.  I'm sure # 8 must be the wire retainer. My pump drive doesn't have a groove on the end of pump drive shaft for #8 to fit into. Thinking this shaft doesn't use a retainer to keep the shaft and torque converter  together.

tc shart.jpeg

33 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I think you not understanding which part we are talking about. In that diagram the pump drive is #7. It's a hollow tube about 2" in diameter. You need to fish it out of the trans. 

GD

Yes I'm defiantly confused. Here's a pic looking down the shaft  into the trans. Can the tube be seen from this pic

look into trans.jpeg

Hi GD. Got the tube out of trans and installed on torque converter with the retainer clip. When I reinstall the oil pump shaft,  how far should it be sticking out measuring from the trans seal? It usually is sticking out 4 1/2  inches. but sometimes stops at 4 inches and 5 inches out from the seal.

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You mean the input shaft? The "pump shaft" is the tube...... I've never measured I just push them in till they are seated. Whatever the shortest measurement is I would say. 

GD

Yes I meant input shaft. Have the pump shaft connected to the TC with retainer clip. Should I pull the input shaft back out of trans and reinstall the TC, pump and input shaft together as one unit or reinstall the input shaft separately? 

tc (2).jpeg