Ultimate Subaru Message Board

changed the wheel bearings and seals on my 87

i installed the rubber brake hoses and got new pads. found out you can't tow the older subs on the ground without drive lines in. also found out the drive lines off a turbo didn't fit a regular transmission, to big on the tranny end in spite of what the parts boy at napa says. now i need to get a brake rotor, caliper and two drive lines. and find the loose ground wire under the dash. changed the ball joints, the old ones were rusted solid of course the boot tore installing it and the through bolt broke on one side. it was not a good day. but i can get parts at pull and save cheap enough as soon as the lady i bought the car from finds the title. then find some winter tires in 13 inch. good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

to avoid confusion, please use the term "CV axle" or "half shaft"  to describe what you are calling "drivelines"

A "driveline" typically refers to the shaft between the trans and differentials.  Since our cars trans have internal front diffs, we only have one " driveline" to the rear diff. Commonly called in the subaru world the "center driveline" or "rear driveline"        or just driveline.

If your original cv / front axels were damaged by the towing incident, look for used oem.  Clean regrease and re boot.  Lots of threads about this.

For driveshafts - the one from the transmission to the rear differential,  find a local driveshaft shop.  A good one can get parts and rebuild them.