Ultimate Subaru Message Board

mechanic advice needed. Non subaru

mods you can delete if you feel inappropriate.

working on 2006 b6 passat 2.0T  FSI engine.

Trying to change oil filter.  Plastic housing, with filter cartridge inside.     The bottom of the filter housing is 6 sided. 36 mm.  So I have a 6 side tool for this.

It wont budge.ive had a lot of torque on it with a cheater pipe on a breaker bar.  I think the nut head is going to strip / slip/ crack break , etc.

I cant really get a grab at it from the side with a filter wrench or a pipe wrench,, too much stuff in the way.

My next tries are:

1.  finding one of those nylon filter straps that twist tighter etc.. and are accessed from underneath instead of the side.

2.  Getting a heat gun, and heating the top of the filter housing where it meets the "block", getting it really warm then twisting at it again

3.  Using a propane torch, and heating at it and doing the same thing.  BUt if it fails,, just burning through the thing.

My questions.     1.. WTF?  Its plastic why don't it turn?  2.  Heat will expand the plastic yes?  and make it easier to turn? 

3.  What if I melt the thing and it sticks to the thread that I really cant reach.  ? 

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.  I only post it here because I have another 2 subarus, and you guys know more about mechanics than anyone else I know.

Thanks John, Marietta OH

John; I know you said it was tight area ... but can you get a hammer / chisel on it ?  Up at the top???  (I doubt it) Your heat gun idea may work. Old plastic does break or melt  ,  make sure that a replacement part is quickly available before you get violent with it.  When you do get it off make sure you use anti seize on the threads and seat.  Have you talked to a VW shop ?  I'm sure they have had this issue (why are they using cartridge rather than a spin on in 2018 !!!) They may tell you to break it and just replace it ????  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

coupla ideas;

can you borrow an impact wrench? the hammer effect might help.

try TIGHTENING first. sometimes that can break things loose.

as for heat, I guess you tried when the car has just been stopped and is at operating temp?

I have an old electric impact wrench I tried.  It didn't budge.  I was hoping the jarring would help .  But no.        I have not tried tightening it yet.    No I didn't try when the car was up to operating temperature.  I really cant right now, because I also have the oil pan off. (it had a hole in it)  I have more room down there with the pan off, but still not enough to swing a dead cat.

Edited by xdeadeye1

1 hour ago, montana tom said:

John; I know you said it was tight area ... but can you get a hammer / chisel on it ?  Up at the top???  (I doubt it) Your heat gun idea may work. Old plastic does break or melt  ,  make sure that a replacement part is quickly available before you get violent with it.  When you do get it off make sure you use anti seize on the threads and seat.  Have you talked to a VW shop ?  I'm sure they have had this issue (why are they using cartridge rather than a spin on in 2018 !!!) They may tell you to break it and just replace it ????  

I don't think I can get a chisel up in there. very tight.     I found a replacement on rockauto for 17 dollars.   I called a dealership service and I spoke to a woman in service, but she wouldn't put anyone on who knew what to do.    Youre right I may just brake it apart , if I can get a pipe wrench on it,  I tried but the pipe wrench jaws weren't deep enough to handle a 3 or 4 inch diameter oil housing and it wouldn't bite .  Ill try a bigger pipe wrench and if it bites, ill just keep twisting till it breaks apart or cracks  ,  hopefully all the way to the seat at the top.   I really don't want to  melt it with a torch, because of the melting to the threads possibility.

• Haha 1

I'm thinking a  torch is definitely last resort. Imagine the fire you would create...   industrial heat gun is much safer...    Large hammer &  lg screw driver would take it out. Make a heck of a mess as well.  

Call a private shop not a dealer ship .  If no shop around then visit the dealer in person and go around to the shop doors and ask a real person....who might have a clue.  The nice lady up front wants you to get rid of that old spoob and BUY NEW !!!  The american way !  You know 30,000 in debt for 5-7 years...   or continue to fix your old car .... your choice...

Your not the first. Try getting the engine up to operating temp and try to twist both directions.  This guy used a dremmel and cut it out and that still did not work.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5735677-36-mm-socket-cracked-then-disintegrated-my-oil-filter-housing#/topics/5735677?page=1

Edited by msmithmmx
  • Thanks 1

Yeah all the Euro stuff is complete trash. VW is near the top of the list of "do not buy" Euro trash. People that buy Euro cars new are hilariously uninformed or are just buying them on lease with the full intent to trade it in after 3-5 years. These cars are the automotive equivalent to the latest model cell phones - designed for a "lifetime" of the lease term. After that the manufacturer (if they haven't been sold off to the Chinese like Volvo) could care less what you experience is with it. You aren't their customer - the guy that traded it in is. 

GD

• Like 2

Good point GD.

I got the car (2006 with 120 k miles) for free from a friend who doesn't work on cars.  His son drove It into the ground/tore it up.  I got It on the run now, except for this &&&%(#(#   oil filter.    I looked at it again from the top side,  taking the assembly off wont be an easy task, but its a road I may need to travel if I break it and still cant get it off.     

Buddy of mine said,  "pay the 70 dollars and take it to VW dealership and let them change the oil.  If they break it they can fix it."     I might feel a little dirty doing this.

If I don't take it to VW I think I will.

1. Try again with the socket / wratchet and try to find a heat gun. to heat it up first.

2. If it breaks,   Do what montana tom said and use a big chisel and hammer and try to split/crack it all the way to the top.

3 If that fails,  Take the oil cooler off and then the whole assembly off the side of the block.

Yeah heat it with a hair dryer if not a heat gun. Can always buy one from Harbor Freight and return it.

I have never understood the switch to cartridge filters.... the only positive I have seen is they are easier to inspect for metal.... I'm fairly certain the cartridge filter design was to make them more environmentally friendly. Easier to recycle. Possibly some type of government involvement.

GD

Update:

I got it off.  Using a Sawzall, and a rotozip cutting wheel.      I cut into the bottom,, then chiseled a crack up to the top.  

I ended up making two cuts about an inch apart  then grabed the bottom "nut "  on the bottom with a channel lock and twisting. 
Some bloody knuckles but its off.

I only cut into the plastic threads at the top in one spot,  and its not all the way through.  I think im ok.

Thanks for responding.

O wow what a story, what a mess replacing an oil filter. I had VWs, and big VWs called Audis, back in the 80's and 90's. All had simple spin on filters, that were super easy to change. How does VW think it better to use a plastic housing with a cartridge inside??? Truly stupid. VWs always had something breaking. I am on my 4th Sub, (still own 3), and life is so much better. Not much breaks on any of my Subs.

I loved my old Audi, and it was very reliable, and usually easy to work on (except for the rust), but parts were really hard to find for it.  Life is much simpler with my old Outback.  I can actually still get parts at the dealership for it, and those parts don't cost an arm and a leg.