Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy outback,

When I leave the key in the car there is no buzzer. The light on the dash for the door works, so the car knows the door is open. How do i fix this? hopefully not replace the key tumbler. I would like to fix it, because I got a key fob, and can not program it. I assume that is because the car does not know that the key is in the car,  on my other 99 that the key buzzer works in the programming went without issues. 

Thanks 

Doug

Is it possible to move this box to the car that I can get to program, and program it and move it back? I will check the buzzer, but I believe it is the switch becasue if it was just a buzzer I should be able to program the new remote?

IMG_20180821_100444.jpg

doing some searching, I found that if this was an issue, and the wire to the switch was cut, that the key can be removed when not in park, anyone know if this is true? this also applies to this car. Also can just the switch be changed, or is it part of the lock assembly?

Hmmm... I don't think we got dingers in our subi's unless there was some cheeky action going on...  I also don't remember any chimes in our Gen3 ('99 model) like you describe.

Are you sure you've got a key in chime for that model vehicle?

Personally I don't see the issue about the key chime - I find them super annoying and with the function of remote locking it's pretty rare to lock the car manually anyway.  This negates the need for an annoying key in chime.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Hmmm... I don't think we got dingers in our subi's unless there was some cheeky action going on...  I also don't remember any chimes in our Gen3 ('99 model) like you describe.

Are you sure you've got a key in chime for that model vehicle?

Personally I don't see the issue about the key chime - I find them super annoying and with the function of remote locking it's pretty rare to lock the car manually anyway.  This negates the need for an annoying key in chime.

Cheers

Bennie

maybe a difference in markets?

my 2002 Forester definitely has a chime if the key is in the ignition, in the off position, but the door is open. it does not chime in the ACC or on positions, however.

Yes ,they all have a dinger in the US. other markets may have more sense... 

Whynot;   The dinger has absolutely nothing to do with being able to remove the key . You have a remote programming issue.  Your fob is bad or your under dash unit is malfunctioning. Or your wiring has been disabled / cut. 

Find another same year car at the wrecking yard and inspect the system on it.

I have two the these cars, same year. The one that the dinger works in, programmed just fine, this one will not. Since the programming sequence has to do with the key cycle, if the car does not know that the key is in the car then it will not program, that is my assumption.

I have not removed the covers on the steering wheel, but I have not found any cut wires at this point. 

If it is not the same switch that causes the dinger to work, why can I remove the key with the car in drive? key does have to be in the correct position.

This all started just trying to program a key fob for these cars.