Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Big problem with my 98 SOLVED see Last post

I bought a used 98 outback with 235K.  It ran OK for a month.  I've had problem with an occasional lockout on the strater but now the I've lost all power.  The fusible link looks OK.  The only sound that I get is the beep when I insert the key.  Nothing else is getting power radio, lights, etc.   The battery wires are tight and it has 12.6 volts.  i previously sanded the body ground so that must be OK. 

This must be easy to trace but I don't know where to start.

Update:  Well I just went out and it started OK once, Then I turned it off, and it won't restart. Again I have lost all power. I have full voltage on both sides of the fusible link. I checked a few of the fuses in the fuse/relay box under the hood and there is power to them and everything there seems to be good.

There is no power to the windows, radio, lights, etc in addition to the starter control wires.  What could turn all these things off.

Edited by mikec03

I pulled the fuse box under the hood and the wire going to it looks fine.  I pulled a few fuses and they have power going to them.  All the fuses are good.

The might car is locked out.  no radio, do dash, no nothing.  I have tried  to find the lock out button which you are supposed to push to reset the start after a battery disconnect.  But this car was made in 7/97 so it seems like it still has the 97 wiring under the dash.  No keyless entry control module at least where it's supposed to be.  I know where the reset button was on the 97, but it's not on this 98 at that location.

Does anyone know a way to start the car?  Even radical way.  

It has a remote start only but its factory.  The key fob does not work however, so it's worthless to reset.  The label  in front of the engine says to push the button under the dash but the button definitely not there.  There must be some contact that I can ground and reset the engine control.

Of course, I'm assuming it's a lockout.  I would take any course to start the engine, lock out or not.  

UPDATE

Well it has nothing to do with the lock out.  The car will just lose all control power randomly.  Dash lights, radio, vent fan, .. everything.  But after sitting, sometimes the dash lights, radio etc will work.  Sometimes it starts.  I just had it running.  It idled for 5 min and then just stopped dead.  Again, no dash light, etc.

So what is common  to everything?  The ECU?  The ignition switch?

I had the ECU out.  It looks OK.  No rust.  Where is the ground for the ECU?  I'm grasping for straws.  If it's the ignition switch, can I jump a wire somewhere to check it?

Edited by mikec03

My 97 Impreza was doing the exact same thing and it was a combo of the battery post being broken and the battery cables being corroded. If you haven’t gone through and checked them I would you can’t always tell by a cursory glance their condition.

Both forester2002 and HASx11 suggested that I check the battery, terminals, and cables.  My first thought was, "Do these posters think I'm an idiot?"  But since I was completely out of ideas, I decided I would check the battery and terminals AGAIN.  The positive terminal was tight and the cables look good.  The negative terminal was really tight, but as I put pressure on it with the wrench, I noticed that the cable moved!  The clamp was snug but I could still rotate it a little. I looked closer and saw that there were washers preventing the clamp from completely tightening.  I removed the washers, tightened the clamp a couple of turns, and wonder or wonders: The problem was solved!

Unbelievable.  LOL

Thanks to forester2002 and HASx11.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mikec03 said:

Both forester2002 and HASx11 suggested that I check the battery, terminals, and cables.  My first thought was, "Do these posters think I'm an idiot?"  But since I was completely out of ideas, I decided I would check the battery and terminals AGAIN.  The positive terminal was tight and the cables look good.  The negative terminal was really tight, but as I put pressure on it with the wrench, I noticed that the cable moved!  The clamp was snug but I could still rotate it a little. I looked closer and saw that there were washers preventing the clamp from completely tightening.  I removed the washers, tightened the clamp a couple of turns, and wonder or wonders: The problem was solved!

Unbelievable.  LOL

Thanks to forester2002 and HASx11.

Sometimes the easiest solution works!  I called AAA once because my 03 Forester wouldn't start after stopping at an Interstate rest stop.  While waiting I opened the hood and low and behold both negative and positive cables were loose!  I  had only drive 1,000 miles without issue.  Tightened them up and away I went.  Cancelled the AAA call for a boost

• Like 1