Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GEN2 Brumby/ BRAT tailgate repro's

Yep. Over in fb land there have been posts by a reproduction business soon to offer, if not now currently - repro tailgates that likely will need all latch and catch hardware transfered into.

Australia about A$800? 

• Like 1

You can find them on ebay and I think gumtree too.  Pre-orders come in at $AU599 IIRC.

Pretty sweet to have such a battered unit available again.  It'd be even better if they sold just the trim piece on its own.  I know they're doing the whole trim set reproductions but not the tailgate piece separately - which is where I reckon they'd make their money!

Cheers

Bennie

They posted about the stainless, but they haven't started tooling. I think the sticker shock would stop it from happening. I can only assume the cost is the tooling for the profile, and once that's made they can make any of the 4 pieces fairly easily.

The problem with the tailgate is the market is miniscule (how many US guys are going to spend $1k on a tailgate once you cover shipping - when complete cars are only twice that). Even down under it's barely viable. I applaud the effort, but can't see the business case.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that they're aiming to run it as a business that turns a profit, rather supplying a run of replacement tailgates to make many Brumbys look good again - the tailgate is usually the first thing to be dinged up or start to rust out if not internally cleaned out from time to time.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1