Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenmotor question: Will an ej22 from 1997 Legacy work with a 2002 ej25 for a Frankenmotor?

I pulled an ej22 and harness out of a 1997 Legacy and was going to rebuild it and stuff it into my van.  Then I managed to find and buy a rebuilt block from a sohc ej25.  The only thing I know about the ej25 was that “it works with a harness from a 2002 Subaru.”

I’m trying to find out if I can put the head, intake, etc. (and use the harness) from the 1997 ej22 and put it on this ej25. I’ve done a fair amount of research, but can’t find conclusive info.  Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
-bob

2 hours ago, Van Quixote said:

I pulled an ej22 and harness out of a 1997 Legacy and was going to rebuild it and stuff it into my van.  Then I managed to find and buy a rebuilt block from a sohc ej25.  The only thing I know about the ej25 was that “it works with a harness from a 2002 Subaru.”

I’m trying to find out if I can put the head, intake, etc. (and use the harness) from the 1997 ej22 and put it on this ej25. I’ve done a fair amount of research, but can’t find conclusive info.  Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
-bob

Personally, I wouldn't put that block and those heads together. I WOULD use that 2.5L SOHC block to mate with 25D heads though. I think a lot of folks do the EJ22 heads/intake on 2.5D block. I've done that, and I wasn't very impressed. The heads do not flow very well, and power was lost above 3500 rpm for me. Lots of Low-end torque, almost like a truck though.  I am now running a 2.5L block from a 2001 Impreza (SOHC) with heads from a '97 Outback (2.5L DOHC; Found the heads for $600 reconditioned from SuperRupair in Boulder, CO. I'd call and talk to Doug. See if he has anything on hand. Their used warehouse is worth a visit. They have shelves, 10-foot tall full of 2.5L heads, and anything else you can dream of. I'm not sure if they'll ship, but it's worth a shot). 

+ STI MLS headgaskets. The power is above and beyond what the other motor had. It has consistent power/gain/pull all the way to 6000 rpm. If it wasn't in a legacy wagon, I think it would give some stock wrx's a fun run. Whatever you do though, the intake/heads have to match the wiring/ECU. So for anything pre-SOHC you need that spec intake/heads...My legacy is also a big pile of rust now, and I'm looking to move the motor to a donor. I'm constrained to pre-1999 though with this intake/heads choice. Once you go to SOHC-land (post-1999), I'm unfamiliar with what can be used for high-compression builds. 

Is there a way to better identify what kind of ej25 I have? No VIN number that I can find.

How do I tell is this is a 2.5D or 2.5L?  I have been doing a boatload of work on the VW Westfalia that this engine will go in (even rebuilt the top half of the 1.9L waterboxer currently in there, along with a ton of other work), but am VERY new to the Subaru world.  Green as can be.

Trying to do as much intel gathering as possible before I get to turning wrenches.

Edited by Van Quixote

DOHC is probably an EJ25D.

The DOHC setup is also used on the Turbo blocks.

There is a vin , stamped or imprinted on the pass side on a flat above  where the axle fits in the tranny,

Probably needs to be cleaned, 1oth digit gives year.

O.

Dohc will be the EJ25D

Sohc is either the EJ251 or the EJ253 depending on the year. Being that yours is a 2002 model year (going by AUDM) it should be the 253. Either way it's the sohc setup.

Subarus are like Lego. All heads are interchangeable - but to what sort of performance to expect depends on what's used. 

The only issue is that you have the 251 or 253 I've read that these blocks are not great for the franken build, only the EJ25D is the block to use (but I could be wrong on that. @GeneralDisorder will be able to clarify).

To get that engine running at the very least, use the '97 heads, intake, sensors, timing gear (including the sprockets/gears/wheels - what ever you want to call them).

Again, I reckon GD will be able to advise if that setup will work or not. 

Cheers

Bennie

Seems like you need to run a certain cam grind from delta cams to get the best from this build. 

Do some reading, drop thread links in here and hopefully it can be worked out for your setup. 

I reckon the EJ253 (going by an EJ251 with a sports exhaust that's in the family) would be a good engine and upgrade over the stock VW donk in there atm. 

A fella I know over here has an EJ22 in his '80s kombi (T3??) and he loves it, so the 2.5 should be even better I reckon. 

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1