Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 Brat push button 4wd not working

Is it the 3at? If so you have to very carefully disassemble the shifter and the switch the there is a small pin in the switch that needs to be filed carefully to remove the wear.

It is a brass pin about a quarter of an inch long and about 1/8th of an inch around. You may have to source another shifter if you can't repair the switch. Once that is fixed if it still does not

work check the fuse then you are left with the 4wd engagement solenoid on the side of the transmission.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, silverhelme said:

Is it the 3at? If so you have to very carefully disassemble the shifter and the switch the there is a small pin in the switch that needs to be filed carefully to remove the wear.

It is a brass pin about a quarter of an inch long and about 1/8th of an inch around. You may have to source another shifter if you can't repair the switch. Once that is fixed if it still does not

work check the fuse then you are left with the 4wd engagement solenoid on the side of the transmission.

By 3at do you mean 3-speed automatic?

3AT is the number for  3 speed automatic transmission.   

If the button is like those on my newer ones, 86 and up-  they are supposed to be alternate action switches.  Press and stay down.  Press again, stay up.   4WD active when down.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveT said:

3AT is the number for  3 speed automatic transmission.   

If the button is like those on my newer ones, 86 and up-  they are supposed to be alternate action switches.  Press and stay down.  Press again, stay up.   4WD active when down.

So should i take apart the shifter handle and check the switch before anything else? (This queston applies to prior reply from silverhelme to just couldn't figure out how to qoute 2 posts)

Edited by Subarute1984

So I'm guessing auto as you haven't definitively said so.  If this is the case ignore my post as this only applies to manuals from the L series - I thought yours may have had a gearbox conversion done.

Best of luck getting your ride sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

So I'm guessing auto as you haven't definitively said so.  If this is the case ignore my post as this only applies to manuals from the L series - I thought yours may have had a gearbox conversion done.

Best of luck getting your ride sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

It is in fact an auto. I meant to state that in the original post but forgot. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Subarute1984 said:

It is in fact an auto. I meant to state that in the original post but forgot. Thanks.

I do have a 1979 that was in an engine fire, and I am toying with swapping the dual range case and manual tranny in to my 84 eventually.

Edited by Subarute1984

Nice score dude. I have an 85, but I have updated her all the way around. If she is running good, drive her as long as you can and start saving and acquiring Ej stuff to swap over. More parts and more power, better driving, in my opinion. 

I have a whole front clip, "legacy struts and engine mount" with a 4" lift on my Brat. I have the 2.2T in mine. Close to firing her off. I took the original brat motor and transferred her into my 88 Rx. I have always like how reliable the ea-81 is, bummer you can't get engine parts for her anymore. No more oil pumps. 

So drive her until she quits, or change to the ea-82, or better an Ej engine. 

They only lack power and ground clearance.

• Like 1