Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings

Needless to say, I'm new to the forum and also new to Subaru.  I've been mostly a Ford guy.  Go ahead and joke, but Ford has been good to me.  I must say that my Fords are pretty old by most standards (1995 - 2000) and Ford's current offerings don't appeal to me so my experience with Fords is not with anything that would be considered recent (unless you're old like me).  I usually try to stick with cars/trucks that I'm familiar with to minimize the amount of time I spend on the learning curve.  I wasn't looking for a Subaru, it found me.  This Subaru ('98 Legacy GT 5 speed wagon) came to me at the great price of $0.00 with "only" 138k on the clock so it was hard to turn down.  However, it does need work so I'll be getting dirty a lot more than I would normally be.  My current fleet is in good running order and require only basic maintenance at this point.  This Subaru will take some effort to get to decent running condition and I'm hoping I don't have the dreaded head gasket problem.  I haven't looked into it far enough yet.  Anyway, that's all for now.

Welcome to the forum!

The twin turbo GT?  Noice!

Post up some pics when  you get the chance.  We all love pics here!

First up I'd be swapping out the timing belt for a new quality kit!  That way you know the history on the cam belt kit and know that nothing is going to snap and make other bits go tinker tinker tinker together.

If you need any twin turbo info there's an Australian based forum with a TT guru or two on there, they know all about the twins, vacuum lines and trouble shooting ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks.  I look forward to learning about this new addition to my fleet. 

No twin turbos.  I'm not a fan of turbos.  I'm a simple guy who likes simple things.  I remember the good old days when it was easy to work on cars.  As far as I'm concerned, the less stuff under the hood, the better.   I'm no luddite, but I don't like the tendency to make things more complicated just because technology makes it easier and cheaper.

The timing belt and associated goodies are at the top of the list.  I'm well aware that terrible things happen when two objects in motion try to occupy the same space at the same time.