Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 EJ22 Oil leak (Headgasket, case half)

I have a '96 EJ22 and since I have owned it (March of this year) I have noticed that it has oil all over the top of the engine. Under the intake and on the driver side top as well. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor, about 1000 miles ago, however I still have wet, oil looking residue all over the top of the engine. There is also black stuff partially coating the lower bit of the intake runners on the passenger side and the oil residue is the worst on the passenger side. 

Is this indicative of headgasket failure on a EJ22? I was under the impression that they did not have that issue compared to the EJ25. Could it be something else leaking oil, PCV valve  and hose was replaced, but the small bit of hose from the block to the tee was not, this couldn't be entirely responsible for the mess though? 

Engine loses a quart of oil ~600 miles but gets 26 mpg in a 98 Outback Limited running at 70 mph on the highway, about 50/50 mix hwy and city, with AC use. I have not noticed it burning oil, there is no oil residue in the exhaust pipe nor soot or residue on the bumper or tailgate. 

Anyone have any insight? 

Thanks in advance. 

If you change the PS pump make sure you change the O-Ring under the Tank (shown in the image below 34488 and 34487) assuming it has the tank on top of the pump.  May be easy to get one from a pull and pay (check for evidence of leaking before pulling it).

Part Numbers here:  https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_1996_Legacy-L-Sedan-22L-AT-4WD/_54100_6027963/OIL-PUMP-OIL-TANK/B11-348-02.html

B11_34801025.png

• Like 1

seems to me that there is a need to look elsewhere. Although losing power steering fluid from the pump would possible distribute it mainly across the right side of the engine especially at high speeds I believe that the loss of 1 quart of oil every 600 miles would have me looking somewhere else before I attempted to purchase a now PS pump.

Personally I've never seen a valve cover distribute leaked oil in the manner described. I should also add that I've never seen the seal at the block halfs leak either . That doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I have never seen it

I'm sure there are others with more Subaru experience than me though. wish I had more to offer

• Like 1

Power steering pump seems likely, I added some of that Lucas ps conditioner stuff to it and it hasn't had a change in fluid level for months now. Though it does look like it was previously leaking. Eventually I will rebuild or replace the pump and reservoir o-ring and flush the system, as it appears Subaru uses ATF in their system (completely opposite of Honda's mineral oil on the Accord I owned previously). 

Valve covers appear to be leaking for sure on both sides, though more evident on the bottom of the driver side than the top. But it doesn't seem like a oil leak from there would find it's way under the intake. AFAIK the oil isn't under pressure at those gaskets. There is oil on the back and bottom of the oil pan. I did timing on it, so cam, crank seals and the o ring for the drivers cam support were replaced with Subaru seals, as well as resealing the oil pump and new subaru o-ring. 

It does look like the rear cam plug and support are leaking, not sure if the sep. plate is plastic as the engine was swapped in during someone elses ownership. Looks professional and carfax shows a local Subaru shop had the car after it didn't pass emissions several years ago. 

Doesn't leak on to the exhaust and the crossmember is fairly dry too. 

Do EJ22 headgaskets fail in that manner, external oil leaks? I remember reading the EJ22s have an oil passage on the top of the block to heads. I'm just wondering if there is somewhere else oil can leak from up there. Most EJ22 pictures I see are much cleaner on the top of the engine than mine. 

Check the oil pressure switch for a leak - that's on top of the engine?

Diagnose:
1. clean it
2. watch where leaks emanate from. 

You're looking at decades of previous spills, leaks, work, grime, dirt, spills...guessing isn't generally advisable here. 

=valve covers never leak "up" on top of the engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Check the oil pressure switch for a leak - that's on top of the engine?

Diagnose:
1. clean it
2. watch where leaks emanate from. 

You're looking at decades of previous spills, leaks, work, grime, dirt, spills...guessing isn't generally advisable here. 

=valve covers never leak "up" on top of the engine.

I replaced that with a new Subaru switch a few months ago, used threebond on the threads. It's still dry in that area. 

Can oil leak from the short hose coming from the block to the PCV system? Valve in the intake is new and so is the hose from the valve to the tee (but not any of the other hoses). 

That would only account for oil on that side though, unless it travels to the drivers side of the block. 

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

Why did you replace the oil switch a few months ago?  

Could the oil you're seeing just be residual from a prior leak from that?

The PVC lines can be oily - how much and if it can contribute to what you're describing I'm not sure. 

The switch was leaking before. I cleaned up most of the oil from that, but would that get oil on the driver's side of the block too? The oil is still wet looking, so something is still leaking oil all over the top of the block.

I'm just wondering if most of my oil consumption (1 qt / 600 miles) is from a major gasket leak, like head gaskets. I doubt it's burning all of it, I would think I would see smoke, and oil residue on the hatch.