Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Legacy is this Normal

I have noticed since I been driving my 1993 subaru legacy 2.2 automatic awd in the summer that when I turn sharply like into a parking space it feels like the back wheels are locked up it is fine in driving straight are backwards is this normal... I thought about putting in the fuse that turns it into a Front wheel drive for the summer time but not sure if that would cause problems if doing so... I have not tested it yet to see if it does it if putting in the fuse for front wheel drive are not though ....  But anyways it is like wheels grab in the rear wheels when turning really sharp.... Thanks

1 hour ago, MilesTolle said:

I will put the fuse back and and test it for a while to see if it happens when switching it over to FWD...  Then let you all know,  here lately its been one thing after the other with this car.

well, it IS 25 years old after all.. they do not go forever without things wearing out.

I drove it to a church parking lot and went around in circles both ways and stopped and turned into parking spots on each side to see if torque binding happened.  I did notice before I tested it that one rear tire was low on air pressure it showed it only had 15 lbs of pressure in it,  while the other three had 40 lbs of pressure,   would that cause torque binding if a tire was that low of air?

possibly, yes

Tires on these are a big factor. They all need to be within 1/4" circumference - preferably all the same brand, style, size and treadwear to prevent damage to the AWD system. Keeping air pressures regulated is also important.

FWIW - if you have a flat and need to use the donut spare, you are supposed to put the donut spare on the back, and use the FWD fuse - that is what that fuse holder is for. Do Not use the donut spare on the front. Meaning if a front tire goes flat, you put the donut spare on a back axle, and move the good tire from back to front, use the FWD fuse and no damage will occur to the AWD system - this is the info you get in an owners manual.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am late getting back to everyone, but been really busy, The torque binding still seems to be present in the rear it seems like the passenger side rear tire is like a stuck caliper when turning into a hard curve like a parking place are drive way when having to make that sharp cut into it.   I have read where a Transmission Solenoid can cause this problem.  It is suppose to be inside the casing behind the transmission pan at the rear of the transmission at the differential part of transmission.  And could also be the clutch bands inside there as well I think you call them.  Does anyone know for sure if a 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.2 sedan awd, automatic.. would have these in that casing before I go though all the trouble of trying to take that casing off, the job does not seem to hard to do,  the pricing I am not sure yet....  The tires seems to be the same treading though,  and same amount of air in each tire.  So I am leaning in that direction once I find out for sure if this car has those in the casing  part... thanks

Yes, your car definitely has transfer clutches, which are controlled by a solenoid, usually called the Duty C solenoid.

Does the FWD fuse change the symptoms?

As I recall, the drum that the clutch plates ride in can get grooved or rusty, which can physically prevent the clutches from releasing. Otherwise the solenoid can stick, and sometimes the gasket that seals the solenoid to the case can leak, so fluid pressure is not held to the clutches. Typically best to just get everything. The dealership I worked at stocked it all, gasket for the case, solenoid, and gaskets for the solenoid (there's a spacer under it, and 2 gaskets, you'll have to replace both). If they have it in stock, they'll probably accept returns if you don't end up using it (make sure to ask first). As I recall the techs always asked for a little fluid tube back there, too. But the one time I did the job I didn't replace it, and I'm not 100% sure why they did (maybe someone else here will know). 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 8:26 PM, MilesTolle said:

does the drum that the clutch plates come as one item to purchase?  It seems to do ok with the FWD fuse placed in it, but will do some more testing to make sure and get back with you all... Thanks

The drum is available from Subaru, but is probably prohibitively expensive to get that way. I know I've heard of people cleaning up grooves with a file with success. But if they're too bad, it probably makes more sense to get a used trans.

But since the solenoid works, you've probably got a relatively simple repair. Gasket, fluid, clutch packs, some time with a file, and carry on.