Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had an issue with my airbag light on 05 OB. Been a while so I cant recall if it was on dash or overhead console by map lights. It may have been intermittent?? If you have the same config, apparently there was a bad solder joint in the overhead console. I discovered this bit of information after buying a replacement.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

You need a new map light assembly or you need to open it up and resolder the surface mount circuit board components. 

GD

I opened up the map light assembly and re soldered the far right diode. Still  have the airbag light on dash. Do I need to re solder all the components on the board. Do I need to erase the airbag code like erasing an O2 sensor ... code?

20 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You should resolder all the connections on every component. 

Is there a inexpensive code reader I can buy to verify what srs code my 07 Legacy has. So far not having any luck soldering the map light assembly.

Map light.

Google it - the options are sparse, unknown, it extant at all.

I haven’t had the need to check thoroughly but I haven’t seen a cheap way to read 05+ SRS codes. Need the shop level toys like GD has at the moment.

I wonder if the laptop OBD2 cables, or more importantly the supporting software, have come far enough yet on these new systems to read SRS codes? 

Edited by idosubaru

9 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Map light.

Google it - the options are sparse, unknown, it extant at all.

I haven’t had the need to check thoroughly but I haven’t seen a cheap way to read 05+ SRS codes. Need the shop level toys like GD has at the moment.

I wonder if the laptop OBD2 cables, or more importantly the supporting software, have come far enough yet on these new systems to read SRS codes? 

Yes. No luck on srs code reader for 07 Legacy. I've been checking Windows and Android  based software for laptop, haven't found anything there either.  Have RomRader  but no srs  reader there. There's got to be something out there.

3 hours ago, steve56 said:

Yes. No luck on srs code reader for 07 Legacy. I've been checking Windows and Android  based software for laptop, haven't found anything there either.  Have RomRader  but no srs  reader there. There's got to be something out there.

Yes - Snap-On has support for it in their scan tools. But I think it's starting in the $2500 level tool. What you are paying for here really is the software that it comes with. No one else supports the range of makes, models, and systems that they support. As you are seeing. 

My local dealer uses the top-of-the-line Snap-On scan tool offering (which starts at about $15,000 and goes up depending on number of hand-helds, etc) in preference to the latest Select Monitor. Only using the Select Monitor when they have to for reflashing and the like. They also use Snap-On software in the parts department instead of what Subaru offers.

Rom-Raider has no support, nor does any other software (ECUFlash, EVOScan, etc) that uses the Tactrix cable. Not that it couldn't physically do it, but no one has programmed that ability. I'm quite sure the Tactrix hardware would be capable of the communications protocols, but no one is really interested in talking to the SRS computer so it is sure to never be supported. 

GD

16 hours ago, montana tom said:

Check out this scanner. Might just be what we needed for subi's , at a price a small timer can afford.  

https://www.icarsoft.com/Product/s-343-iCarsoft_HNM_II.html

EDIT)  I'll have one next week , Ill give it a spin and then give it a review.

Hi Tom. Communicated thru email with icarsoft. They said there product works on Subaru srs, but couldn't confirm what years they work on. That's great that your getting one and are going to review it. Then we will know for sure if its a good buy.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:06 AM, msmithmmx said:

Here is what I use.

Autel AL619 Autolink Engine,ABS,SRS Auto OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader Automotive Diagnostic Tool

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IhuKBbF47QDM7

Thanks for the info on the Autel 619. When I talked to Autel phone support, they suggested the 619. However like the icarsoft tech support, Autel couldn't confirm what years it would work on.

20 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Yes - Snap-On has support for it in their scan tools. But I think it's starting in the $2500 level tool. What you are paying for here really is the software that it comes with. No one else supports the range of makes, models, and systems that they support. As you are seeing. 

My local dealer uses the top-of-the-line Snap-On scan tool offering (which starts at about $15,000 and goes up depending on number of hand-helds, etc) in preference to the latest Select Monitor. Only using the Select Monitor when they have to for reflashing and the like. They also use Snap-On software in the parts department instead of what Subaru offers.

Rom-Raider has no support, nor does any other software (ECUFlash, EVOScan, etc) that uses the Tactrix cable. Not that it couldn't physically do it, but no one has programmed that ability. I'm quite sure the Tactrix hardware would be capable of the communications protocols, but no one is really interested in talking to the SRS computer so it is sure to never be supported. 

GD

Thanks for your advise Gd. Yes I can see srs on a 2007 Legacy is to obscure for anybody except the big players like Snap On to have on their scanners. 

As I said - map light.  

I’d replace it.

The proper protocol if you dont like guessing or believe anyone telling you to replace it, which is healthy skepticism, trace the appropriate wires and verify the ohms or continuity of each. If those all check out you then know it’s the light assembly  

then you could test the light assembly circuitry and board itself for basic continuity to try and narrow down the exact failure point  

5 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

As I said - map light.  

I’d replace it.

The proper protocol if you dont like guessing or believe anyone telling you to replace it, which is healthy skepticism, trace the appropriate wires and verify the ohms or continuity of each. If those all check out you then know it’s the light assembly  

then you could test the light assembly circuitry and board itself for basic continuity to try and narrow down the exact failure point  

Yes. Just ordered the new map light assembly from Subaru. Just wanted to verify the error code first. My local dealer wanted $140 just to run the codes. Now that I know its error code 26, it seems like a safe bet to buy a new map light assembly.

• Like 1