Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All 36 mm hub nuts same torque?

jono

not got access to manuals ATM so asking if hubs nuts at rear get same sub 200 ft/ lbs as front drive shafts?

i swapped in my "Portland" disc rear this morning and now swear I have an unhappy bearing noise

if I had a torque wrench rated up to is it 196? I would use it

i just use a pipe 15" long sleeved over 450 long breaker bar and give it some and then a tad more to get split pin alignment.

i am the last one who tensioned this nut before and it seemed too easy compared to front CV shaft nuts

Surely FWD tears not so tight?

49 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I've always done the front and rear up the same.

No torque wrench used, just a 3/4 inch breaker bar and "some body weight" ;)

Cheers

Bennie

What he said. Torque wrench isn’t necessary if you’ve done a bunch of Subaru work. Since you presumably staked it you’ll know if you left it too loose when you go to tighten it and it turns too easily. 

I have a heavy duty long 3/4” socket wrench and slide a 2 foot pipe over it and give it some hefty heaves, that’s my torque wrench. Front and rear. Never had a failed bearing. I wouldn’t do this on an SVX rear.

But I’ve probably only tightened like 50 or maybe 100 Subaru axle nuts. 

Probably done about fifty myself using body weight for fronts. Rears somehow seem easier using raw muscle.

Gregory's manual and L books say 196 but my 83 fsmFSM says 145 which maxes my torque wtenwrench so going that way first time ever. FWD rears are different again

Plus up to 30° for split pin hole alignment.

Just checked one and did not take any more to set off torque wrench

Will mark noisy side for reference

After 20 years of these I now know my toyque wrench has the scope

Edit. Next side was about 4 mm off what I did by feel. Who knows how tight that made it. Both now at spec. Still a noise but may not be bearing....

Edited by jono