Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello from Central NY state

Hi all, bought my wife a 2004 Forester for a winter car. Found your forum while searching for problem fixes, seems like a good place to find real answers to the problems encountered with these vehicles. I wanted something noted for running the extra miles and seemed like Subaru was a good choice. Looking forward to reading and contributing as I learn how to fix the new to us ride!

keep all 4 tires identical - same brand/model/size

don't let some yahoo confuse fluid drain/fills

CONFIRM that the rollers, idlers, tensioner, were changed along with the belt at the last timing belt system service - with parts of japanese manufacture. the schedule is 105 months, or 105K miles, w'ever comes first.

For long term reliability it needs a new Subaru OEM or AISIN timing kit.  Technically the tensioners easily make 200,000 miles but most people just get a kit.  But if you go with Subaru parts you can consider skipping that one, replace all the other pulleys and belt. 

It's an interference engine so if any of those break it bends valves, usually a majority of them. 

Rust is the resource eater - exhaust, brakes, and body work if inspections/aethetics matter.

Good evening all,  the tires are practically new and a matched set yes. I hate mismatched tires. I do the fluid changes, not a big fan of quick oil change establishments, nothing wrong with them, just dont use them... oil undercoating keeps most rust problems to a minimum.

So I was thinking a good investment would be a a parts vehicle, one with a decent 2.5 that I could pull and and rebuild, have ready for a motor swap when the time is needed.

Currently doing my homework on what years would interchange with 04 and checking CL for possible donor vehicles.

So when I get started on a project, will open a thread with lots of pics and info for some good reading!

Sounds good as long as you can.

Board here isn’t what it used to be because people are retardedly giving up on message boards for face dook groups.

FYI , my uncle still has his 1969 Ford Pickup here in CT - major salt/corrosive crap - due to spraying light oil underside. The big problem with our Subarus is the wheel apron has a horizontal seam which holds dirt , developed pinholes , and the water travels inside the rear quarters and settles over the wheel arch and down at the sill. With he rear wheels off , and if possible during a suspension swap , you want to treat that area if the wheel apron and tar it up or use whatever you choose. My friend just did a POR15 treatment after a good wire brushing etc. 

Good luck with it and enjoy your time here.

Keep messageboards alive !! 

Cheers!

• Like 1