Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a way to tell which ej25 engine I have with no VIN number?

I have a rebuilt sohc ej25 sitting in my garage that I'm about to finish building out.  I’m trying to figure out if it’s an ej253 or an ej254 or other.  I do not have the VIN # from the donor vehicle.  Is there a way to visually figure out which variant I have?  Thanks,
-bob

Thanks Numbchux,

The engine is clean and sitting in my garage, so a number should be easy to find.  I checked around and found no number.  But I found this vertical space under a tranny bolt hole on the pass side that would be perfect for stamping a VIN # on.  Am I missing it or is the engine missing a VIN?  Thanks for your help.  i'm a newb to the Subaru.

The only thing I know about this engine is that it "will work with a harness from a 2002."

image.png.a6b63f8b9fbbc24d5db5a046580135e3.png

86BRATMAN,
Since I have only the block, heads, and timing components, does this mean that it doesn't really matter if it's an ej251 or ej253?  So long as all the other top of engine whatnot matches whatever harness I get? 

Ultimately, I'm stuffing this thing into a 1984 VW Westfalia so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before the big swap.