Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback - Theft Recovery no Clutch?

Well, I've sold this Outback 2 times now.  First to a Co-Worker and then to a Friend.  

Two weeks ago, it was stolen out of her driveway.  Who steals a 98 Outback with 240K on it.  Yes it's a Subaru.

Anyway, the police recovered it.  The oil was way over filled and missing the cap. Battery dead.  I charged the battery and changed the oil and filter.  Put some gas in it and the 2.2 started right up.I did the 2.5 to 2.2 conversion about 5 years ago.  I love those 2.2's.  The transmission seems to shift into all but 1st just fine.  The clutch pedal feels good and the input fork is moving.  There is absolutely no transfer of power from the flywheel to the transmission.  No loading of the engine when you let the clutch out with the transmission in gear.

The only other time I've seen this was on a 2000 Forester and when I dropped the trans the center hub of the clutch was completely disconnected from the clutch disk.  It looked like they downshifted from high speed or were rolling backward and popped the clutch.

More then one Mechanic has told me they have changed Subaru clutches with the trans pulled back to the end of the long bottom studs!  Is that really possible?  

With my change of jobs, I have limited time and limited space and the owner has limited money.  Just thinking I may be able to get them back on the road in an afternoon.

I don't like the idea, but I'd be willing to try.

Thanks,

Larry

• Confused 1

Larry ;  I don't think that trick would work and I'm not convinced that you need a clutch...Of course you won't know till the disk is in hand. I'm wondering what they did to that transmission?  I'm thinking they may have broke the shaft inside. Your friend might be needing a transmission not a clutch (lets hope not)  Besides to pull back the trans that far you will have disconnected the drive line and the mounting bracket. About the only things left are some wires and the  c/v axles .  Why bust your knuckles... just finish the job and bring that tranny to the ground . 

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing with fork, retainer clips and all while just sliding the mt back after removing exhaust and drive shift but I wouldn't count on it being a clutch failure. I'm guessing you've already washed your hands of the deal by now but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents