Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I am about to throw my SOHC 2.5/DOHC 2.5 frankenmotor into a '98 outback in pretty great (cosmetic) condition.... but it is 200,000 miles. I have gone through about 4 different 5mts in the past 6 years... All were cheap, but all were high mileage. I'm planning on purchasing a transmission that came out of the '05 Legacy GT wagons... Transmission code: TY757VBAAB... The gear ratios look to be a dream! With my wheel/tire choice, I can be at 3000 rpm and going 75 mph down the interstate and thus keep very good fuel economy. My problem though... In the picture of the transmission that I'm looking at, there doesn't appear to be a speedo-sensor installed... There is a plug circled in orange... Anybody have a guess if there will be a speedo gear in there when I take the plug out? If not, I'm assuming that I'd have to split the case halves to install? Just a matter of spending the time to do so? Unfortunately I'm not in a position to get this information as the transmission is coming from an online auction source. Supposed to be at about 50,000 miles. I guess I could go without a speedometer, and just memorize the tachometer-to-gear-ratio-to-wheel-size speeds off of a chart...  I figure it'll last much longer behind a NA motor versus turbo...

http://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmission ID Chart_Public.pdf

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru Transmission Chart

Thanks all,

Greg

fullsizeoutput_71.jpeg

s-l1600 driver side.jpg

s-l1600 clutch.jpg

Edited by suprunner
more info

Look on NASIOC and legacyGT.com for more info.

I looked into this same swap on  '98 Forester turbo project, but never got it done. 2005 GT 'should' be a 4.11 (OB XT was 4.44) and should match your stock rear diff...( the GT had VLSD). Very good trans from what I remember reading.

4 trans in 6 years???///WTH. These are not weak trans.

And you '98 will run in 'limp' mode w/out the VSS hooked up....unless you're running a Megasquirt or similar EM?

Not a direct swap, but some info: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-replacement-questionsiii-subaru-transmission-gurus-needed-262690.html

Here's one I remembered on NASIOC for a   '97 GT.....99% same as your '98 (GT has different gear ratios, but same FD ratio) : https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22564870#post22564870

Edited by wtdash

Those cars use the ABS sensors to run the speedo, AFAIK there's no shaft or gear in there. BUT, I do believe the 3-4 gear is cut to accept one, so you'd "just" have to split the case, and install the shaft, seal, and gear to accept a cable.

And yea, you'll have a few negative running characteristics without a VSS.

9 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Those cars use the ABS sensors to run the speedo, AFAIK there's no shaft or gear in there. BUT, I do believe the 3-4 gear is cut to accept one, so you'd "just" have to split the case, and install the shaft, seal, and gear to accept a cable.

And yea, you'll have a few negative running characteristics without a VSS.

Is “VSS” a vehicle speed sensor?  Why would I have issues if I installed a speedo gear wouldn’t that take care of it? 

I’d rather split the case then actually replace transmissions these days..

I guess I could go without a speedometer, and just memorize the tachometer-to-gear-ratio-to-wheel-size speeds off of a chart.

We're responding to this comment....if you put in a  VehicleSpeedSensor (the correct one for your car), this wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by wtdash

10 hours ago, wtdash said:

...4 trans in 6 years???///WTH. These are not weak trans.

I drive like I have a 17 year old dog in the back seat... I love my frankenmotor and want this 5mt for its gear ratios. I think I would maintain excellent fuel economy at interstate speeds, and not have to put on the blinkers going up to the Eisenhower Tunnel..I don’t think the 5mts are that bomb proof, or I got 4 crappy ones... I work for a used Subie lot, and we’ve had to replace many a 5mt. Maybe two autos in the past 10 years.

Edited by suprunner