Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extra Length Crank Pulley bolt?

Greetings all I have a partially stripped out crank shaft, due to the dampener pulley wriggling loose.

The first 10-20mm of threads in this shaft are damaged, however I noticed the bolt grabs well with the pulley not in place.

Its a 2.2L EJ22E engine. I measured the crank shaft threads seems go to 80mm deep, and the stock bolt seems to be M13 X 66mm. Meaning with the pulley it goes in about 50mm.

Without the pulley I can actually tighten the bolt snug.

Does anyone know of a source for a longer bolt like the ones that are commonly available for other engines?

Its odd to have a metric size like M13, not sure the thread pitch does anyone know that?

Something like a M13 X 80-90mm class 12.9 bolt?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, montana tom said:

When I get out to the shop later, I'll put a pitch gauge on one and let you know.  I'm guessing 1.25 but we will see.  You will have to find a bolt specialty shop to located that long a bolt IF you can even find one.

Thank you. I only need to find one 10-15mm longer. I am actually wondering if they had the correct bolt on here to begin with so if you could measure how long one is that would be handy too. Thanks

Edited by 2212CC

OK pitch is 1.5 , length is 2 7/8" or 73 mm  from seat to bottom of bolt .   The bolt I located was from a 2000 2.5 , it  threaded in to a 2.2 crank no problems. Should be the same but maybe they used a slightly longer bolt on the 2.5 . If so will be easy wrecking yard part.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to follow up and say thank you again for the info!  I got the 73mm crank bolt for the 2000 2.5 and wala the extra 6mm  or so was perfect.

I also got a 13mm "bottom tap" to clean up the threads in the back of the hole but it was not needed. My mechanic got it torqued down , he was really impressed. Everyone was thinking the engine was toast or we needed to try one of those threaded inserts.

And 13mm is a non standard bolt size so "fastener" supply type places just laugh when I asked. 

Its nice to have an alternator and power steering again.

Fingers crossed it keeps the car on the road a few more years.

20180929_195600.jpg

• Like 3