Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo clamp Vs coolant clamp?

Having found that an increase in boost pressure (only double) can cause the alloy "intercooler" cross over pipe from turbo to throttle body - to break ranks and thump the underside of the bonnet....I was wondering if coolant hose clamps would hold better

Afterall, cooling system pressure caps are about the mark of double std boost pressure.

Has anyone used these for this purpose?

I have heard back in the day, rally drivers borrowed fence wire to tie the bloody things to the block.

There, 459 kB used of my 2MB allowance 

IMG_20180906_155154.jpg

Eyed them off first but lucky us Norma use the size we need onEA82 as the step point change up and down sizes and the flat curved guide is too invasive on the shape of the hose. I tried clamp on hose without fitting to " cooler" pipe

Gee, this rain is nice and welcome

Might have to suck it and see on this one (& keep some fence wire handy )

1 hour ago, ausubaru92 said:

So are you running double the factory boost levels?

Who me?  I'm currently pushing the stock 14 psi on my EJ20G, soon to be up to 18 psi.

Do all your hard pipes have a lip or bead?  If not, that's your problem.  Once adequately tightened it is basically impossible to blow a worm gear clamp off a properly beaded hard pipe.  Are you running 36 psi or a compound charger setup?

T-bolt clamps are nice, but they can unevenly clamp around the diameter of the hose, they're heavier, more expensive.  Run them if you want (I do on the above set up) but it's honestly an unnecessary expense.

Factory 6 psi , I had upped it to 12 or 13 and using factory hose and clamps just cruising on boost without changing down a gear...then a thump to the underside sound blanket and then bonnet.

All in prep tofor EA82T into my Brumby - frustration plus waiting for the day