Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do you think of this timing chain guide wear?

can you tell which side/chain is causing the misalignment? Install one at a time and see if it’s onvious?

irrelevancy warning here - but on bike chains, if the chain is compromised it can be necessary to replace the sprockets it engages as well  

i forget where we ended when I aksed - are chain tensioners under full tension when the engine isn’t running since they require oil supply to function?

It's the passenger side chain because it's as if the chain between the P side cam sprockets is a bit too long.  Chains on the pulling sides are as tight as they can get without running the engine.  The non-pulling side is tensioned only by the tensioner springs.

Edited by dburton97128
add content

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the tensioners, guides and chains.  ~2k mi and so far so good.  (5 hrs at 90 mph cruising since I forgot about the time zone one hour loss on a trip I was making.  Thank goodness for 80 mph speed limits).  Haven't heard any more chain rattle sounds.  After the repair I did an engine flush and dropped the pan and cleaned it out.  Some sludge in the low spot around the magnet, but didn't see anything concerning.

• Like 2