Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone bought the downloadable PDF version of the factory service manuals from eBay?  I see hard copies listed for north of $500 and the downloadable version runs around $15.  I usually buy hard copies, but I haven't ever seen hard copies this expensive for a 20 year old car.  I have a '98 Legacy.  The claim is that these downloadable manuals are the same that the dealers use.  I don't know which is more surprising to me - the extremely low price of the electronic version or the ridiculous price of the hard copies.  I just might go with the electronic version if it's legitimate, but it seems too good to be true (and you know how the expression goes).

Just a few examples of the electronic version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-WORKSHOP-SERVICE-REPAIR-FACTORY-MANUAL/123300229858?fits=Year%3A1998|Model%3ALegacy&hash=item1cb54432e2:g:KLcAAOSwKRBbHLn~&vxp=mtr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-WORKSHOP-SERVICE-Repair-MANUAL-SUBARU-LEGACY-1998-2004-WIRING/152804680243?hash=item2393de6233:g:H~EAAOSwc2FaG~dy&vxp=mtr

no need to buy something that is freely available in a couple of different places.

the one ocei77 gave a link to is probably the most common source, but there are others as well.

Check the sticky topic "New Gen Subaru FAQ", page 2, about 2/3rds of the way down the page... same poster as above, even.

OK.  Thanks.  The links in the sticky haven't been working for me.  I'll try again.  I wasn't sure about some of these online manuals given the forum rules and such for what I assume were once (still?) copyrighted publications.  That's why I usually just pay for the manuals.  I don't want to run afoul of anyone.

Subaru does not restrict their availability. They nearly encourage the sharing of the manuals. You can buy a 72 hour subscription to the Subaru tech-info web site for $35 and download as many PDF's as you like to keep forever. They simply don't care who has them or where they got them. I doubt they even bother getting copyrighted on these. They DO enforce their Trademark's, but that's about it. 

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-(FSM)-Every-Model-USDM-EU

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 1 year later...

What year ? I’m currently unloading some manuals, and lots of 1970’s parts.

In my stash should be at least one FSM for something I owned like an 88 or 89. Complete sets are getting scarce I guess. Those later sections 4,5,6 you’d find nearly untouched. Pretty sure any I would have are going to be like that. 

Hoping to make more time at storage this weekend. If I find what helps you I’ll post back and message here.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, moosens said:

And paper still rules. :)

It’s a 1991 Loyale so the 89 should work. 
I need section 6. 
The downloads cut off @ 6-1. I think it’s 6-2 that I need for direction on what bulbs to put where. 

On 4/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, moosens said:

What year ? I’m currently unloading some manuals, and lots of 1970’s parts.

In my stash should be at least one FSM for something I owned like an 88 or 89. Complete sets are getting scarce I guess. Those later sections 4,5,6 you’d find nearly untouched. Pretty sure any I would have are going to be like that. 

Hoping to make more time at storage this weekend. If I find what helps you I’ll post back and message here.

That’d be great I just didn’t want to drop a C note on the whole package if I didn’t have to. 
I’d be willing to pay for section 6 if you have it. 

Ok cool. Sorry I didn’t just yank it down. Nobody else will bid don’t worry. 

I still have not checked to see about the wiring around the steering column. In the middle of an ear infection so it’s been tricky lately. 

10 hours ago, moosens said:

Ok cool. Sorry I didn’t just yank it down. Nobody else will bid don’t worry. 

I still have not checked to see about the wiring around the steering column. In the middle of an ear infection so it’s been tricky lately. 

I’ve got my eye on sections 1-5 there on eBay. I don’t really need them since I was able to download some of them and then the Chilton version (not the same as the FSM though) I’m torn.