Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 impreza lx 2.2 Power steering leak issue

I bought this car for 600 bucks a few weeks back. It has a small leak in the power steering reservoir,  and it leaks on the manifold. No issue with the power steering and it retains fluid fine as i havent had to add any since i bought the car. But my problem is that the leak smokes if i take it on the highway. Im assuming because its dripping on the hot engine.  My mechanic wants to replace the entire reservoir  but none are cheap in the shops near by.   I would like to drive the car out of town but am trying to wait until this issue is fixed. I drove it to the next town over and smoke was coming from the engine pretty good. I dont want to start a fire. 

Question 1. Do i need to replace the entire Reservoir or can it be fixed easier and cheaper then that? 

Question 2. If i do need to replace it should i get a newer one that is heavier duty? As i hear the ones for this year are kinda bad anyhow. 

Question 3 . If it needs to be replaced  how simple or hard is the job?

Sorry if these questions have been covered.  I just dont really want to sink alot of money into the car if a simplier fix would work. 

24 minutes ago, HASx11 said:

There is a o-ring on the bottom of the reservoir where it goes into the pump and that is usually where they leak from. They aren't too hard to replace I was able to pull the pump and reservoir and reseal the pump and reservoir in about 2 hrs.

Yea that appear to be the spot. It is dripping on the manifold and is pooling around the spark plugs, which is my main concern.  Ive thougt of using a stop leak on it to try until i can fix it properly. But not sure which one to use, as i have to put automatic transmission fluid in the power steering reservoir. Lol.  But an o ring would be even cheaper.  Ill let my mechanic know and hopefully i can nip this in the bud before it gets too out of hand

Thanks again

A.  Remove the gasket, clean and reassemble with excellent grade sealant = free parts costs.  That's what GD does. 
B.  Buy the Subaru OEM $25 reseal kit: 
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-repair-kit-pump~34419aa100.html
https://www.ebay.com/p/Subaru-Genuine-OEM-Pt220495-P-s-Pump-Kit-34419AA100/1350529604

The reseal kit may not include that reservoir oring so buy both if needed. 

Given that you're paying a mechanic to do this I'd just reseal the entire pump and replace the oring both at the same time so you're not paying labor twice.  Subaru Power steering pumps last the life of the vehicle, reseal it all and be done with it.

*** Given you have a substantial leak I think the gasket is more likely than the oring....but that's just a guess

The orings sometime leak - 70 cents and it's very easy to replace.  Do you have any friends who know how to use a screwdriver?
Subaru part number for the oring is 34427AA020
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-o-ring~34427aa020.html
Subaru sometimes lists the dimensions if you want to google that and order a local oring the same size

here's a thread with part numbers and more....this is common there are more threads like it if needed:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The leak is on the back side between the hose and the bolt you can see a bit that pools on the bracket then drips on the manifold. Probably the o ring i hope.  Im searching how to remove the reservoir so i can change it.  Ive done lucas stop leak but its not workin.   But to be fair ive only been able to put a minimal amount in there. I have a big syringe that ill suck some of the old fluid out with, and ill check the link for the o ring i may need.  

Unless it seems like there is another direction i need to start at

IMG_20181014_130546.jpg