Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2018 Forester - Make it Last

• 1 month later...

I did the oil Change today and was going to do the CVT, but then I found this:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/problems-after-changing-cvt-fluid-782507/index2.html#post7444251

GD what's your shop doing for the CVT?  It sounded like drain and fill but it looks like there is quite a bit to the fluid fill to ensure the level is correct.

Thanks,

Larry

13 hours ago, lmdew said:

Thanks, that's assuming the correct level was set by the Factory or the Mechanic before you.

You know what they say about assuming!

Thanks

Larry

True. But generally they are working fine when we do this and if we suspect it's not or see an abnormal amount when we drain it then we will go through the procedure. It's not rocket science and these are really just fancy automatic's with pusher belts and variable pitch pulley's in place of the planetary gearing systems of old. They still have the same basic hydraulic systems, torque converters and clutches of the old conventional auto's.

GD

11 hours ago, potter2010 said:

A bit of a tangent, but I have a 2010 Outback for a couple years now and maybe I'm horribly wrong but I thought the service schedule said the CVT fluid wasn't to be touched. Did this change on the newer generations or should I quickly change mine?

If you believe the marketing claims of lifetime fluid (who's lifetime anyway? The lifetime of the transmission? LOL), then I've got some amazing (magical even) bean investment opportunities for you. 

Regardless - the manual lays out what conditions the fluid should be changed under - and 90% of all the drivers out there fall under one of the "severe use" conditions - at least in part. And under those conditions the fluid needs to be changed every 25k. So no - it is not lifetime, and really never was. The marketing people got their fingers in that pie and inserted very narrow conditions under which the fluid should last a "lifetime" (the lifetime of the powertrain warranty anyway - 60k - LOL). 

What a crock. It's sad that people still fall for marketing after being beaten down by it for hundreds of years. 

GD

On 10/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

If you believe the marketing claims of lifetime fluid (who's lifetime anyway? The lifetime of the transmission? LOL), then I've got some amazing (magical even) bean investment opportunities for you. 

What a crock. It's sad that people still fall for marketing after being beaten down by it for hundreds of years. 

GD

Okay, okay. I'll admit I was taken in by this but I've learned my lesson now.

I've been looking up the process for a 2010 Outback 2.5 CVT. A few questions:
-No one seems to change the filters. Granted it seems like a pain to get to and is rated 'lifetime' (but I've been taken in by that before). Is this something that needs doing?
-A few guides mention that a relearning should be done at a shop afterwards. Yes, no?
- Amsoil CVT fluid was mentioned as good, if I can't get ahold of this or Subaru fluid, anything else recommended or to stay away from?

Thanks!