Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Repair mistakes and blunders

jono

I don't think Rockauto have a © on this subject do they?

I think my biggest blunder this w3ek originated as a bright idea.

I am an engine out to get gearbox out kinda guy and this time I was not going soak my boots or clothes or floor with valuable heavy metal laden coolant

I had blank off plugs for the heater hose connections and found a neat bung plug for the EA82 water pipe.

Job done ( now got full-time push-me-pull-you 5MT)

Initial test drive was to be shared with a mate, but he no home so I push on. After 3 km my 100°C engine temp goes off so I pull over...fan not cut In a's I forgot to connect earthing switch at radiator. Hooked up fans still not pull temp down

At 104°C I park and cool it down.

Fire her up again to run home suspecting thermostat stuck ...just coincidentally.

Go around a corner and got a hiccough thennext corner a backfire intake side -propane - then engine died.

See why it is important to lay down the sequence of events before asking on a forum, or worse - Facebook !

I checked my vapour gear - all ok. Tried to fire up but just crank crank crank

Hmmmm...pulled dizzy cap wondering if spilt coolant - yeah plugs not water tight in the heater hoses while engine was out....

Dizzy cap dry as a dead dingo's donger (silent g by the way , pronounced g is a family name !) Cap innards so dusty from rotor scrape top of those 22200AA390 dizzy module covers aaaand the carbon brush dust. Cap and rotor less than 20,000 km old and brush has disintegrated back into its spring housing and black arced mark on the rotor.

Luckily I keep spare dizzy in tool box and said box just got put back in car....and I also had a spare new cap as well..the things you find !!!

The blunder ??? Suddenly dawned on me I did not recall taking water pump pipe plug out before hose back on

Pipe was hot, hose was cold, so too the radiator !!

Stupid found the bung plug had travelled against the waters natural flow and got stuck in the bottom radiator hose.

Removal was a good thing

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ausubaru92 said:

Ahh so thats the reason for the 2nd account

Suppose its a bit like changing the oil and forgetting to put the sump plug back in and wondering why its taking so much to refill

A mate of mine did that when changing the oil in his patrol... $90 of new oil all over his garage floor!  You only make that mistake once if at all I reckon!

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Jono sent these pics to Steptoe to upload out of his allowance

IMG_20180909_113606.jpg

The above red piece, is this an adaptor with one side a larger hose size than the other, or just a trick of the camera?  If it is an adaptor, where did you get it from?

Cheers

Bennie

trick of the eye, sorry. You can just make out 30mm printed on it. Sourced via ebay, came from China and search words may have referred to the  adaptor hole in it plugged up with brass plug. is intended to fit after market temp sender unit in mid hose. I think I have two Camry hoses there for the bends and size to fit my EA82 to my EA81 Brumby radiator bottom hose. Top hose is EA82 top or bottom hose

12 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I need two 30mm to 40mm adaptors

Same, was thinking of using either a silicone 32-38mm reducer

raceworks-shr-125150bk.jpg

or one of these but with the flange cut off ($11.20 each off ebay)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tri-clamp-Concentric-Reducer-Stainless-Steel-SS304-Sanitary-3-4-3/222598713264?hash=item33d3eacfb0%3Am%3AmdzEilh15fEIPwDm8fWgaEA&var=521438835953

Edited by ausubaru92