Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CrossTrek Review

Naked Buell

Hey guys,

I have always liked the Cross Trek and was thinking of getting one for the next wife's rig. 

Can I get some of the pros and cons that you have come across.

I hate the fact that you can't get a manual in the Outback anymore unless it is the Outback Sport, if I am correct.

Any thoughts would be great. 

• 11 months later...

I am looking at the possibility of a 2019 or 2020 Crosstrek. I don't know much about the 2.0L engine, and the 6MT and clutch. I have had Toyota for the last 30 years, and I would like to continue with something bulletproof and lasts forever (200,000+ trouble free miles). It's between a Crosstrek 6MT and a RAV4 8AT.

Edited by paullouisf
to add information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If your wife does not drive the car every day I would not get the 2020 Cross Trek model.  If I don't drive my car weekly I have to jump my car as it dies and I was told by the Subaru car dealer it is normal with new cars.  A parasitic leak... I find this to be a joke as now if I go on vacation I need my neighbor to come start my car or have the airport attendant start the car.    I would not get the car for this reason.

3 hours ago, F. Tinker said:

If your wife does not drive the car every day I would not get the 2020 Cross Trek model.  If I don't drive my car weekly I have to jump my car as it dies and I was told by the Subaru car dealer it is normal with new cars.  A parasitic leak... I find this to be a joke as now if I go on vacation I need my neighbor to come start my car or have the airport attendant start the car.    I would not get the car for this reason.

I’m sorry you’ve had some awful experiences. Its frustrating no doubt and a new car is not supposed to do that. 

Just get a new, better, battery. If you’re going to leave it set then ask what batteries can take that abuse better (lead acid or AGM or which Odysssey battery). 

The stock battery is small to begin with and you’ve damaged it from running low, maybe the first time it sat for a long time and only incurred short trips. This is common for many newer vehicles, not just crossteks.  many newer cars are using small batteries probably for EPA weight reduction fleet mieleage reasons.  

I’ve seen college students complain about their car, but it’s not the car.  it’s because they live on/next to campus, never drive, and already had an ancient battery they’ve run dead multiple times to begin with.  Get a new battery.  Once it’s been run dead It’s a risky piece of trash. Batteries are not forgiving. Buy a better one with higher capacity - people do it *ALL* the time.  You’re not still wearing clothes from middle school because they don’t fit. Your current puny battery doesn’t fit for your usage and you’ve damaged it.

people that leave batteries for extended periods of time get a trickle charger. Again - very common for people who don’t use a car battery frequently.  

Get a new higher capacity battery (don’t get it from the dealer)

If you suspect an issue then have the parasitic drag tested - it should be less than 100 milliamperes.  Easy test. 

Edited by idosubaru

3 hours ago, F. Tinker said:

Thanks for your response.  The milliamperes is <100.  I will try the higher capacity battery.

Great! You got a number reading to look at?  Who measured it? 

You’ll be golden with a new battery. 

You can also have it tested and get a replacement under warranty maybe?  But then you’re stuck to the low capacity stock battery that is adequate but incredibly unforgiving for your use.  

• 2 weeks later...