Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vibration and noise Fix or forget it?

96  legacy wagon.  2.2,  EAT.  (the one is my picture)  215 k miles.

I don't really need the car anymore.. but I hate letting it go.   Engine is really good.  Head gasket timing belt done, new brakes,, etc.

So then I start getting noises.  I cant tell where its all coming from,, front or back or both.  Whines that increase with speed.  and a vibration I can feel.  Front bearings were done.  Not the rear.  Also I rebuilt my cv axles when I did the head,, but I think I got some grease that leaked out of the boots because of not knowing what I was doing with the wire clamps.  So the rear has original bearings and cv axles.    I was thinking maybe its the u joint that's staked in there.  IDK.  I kinda need a procedure to diagnose it all.    Help is appreciated.  (when im driving I cant be certain where all the noise is coming from.)

Vibration, pull the heat shield and inspect the drive line. I predict u joints

Howlly growlly  sounds like rear wheel bearings.   My 94 was making a similar noise...  I didn't even notice.  We took some friends out to dinner and they rode in the back seat...  we hadn't gone a mile before they pointed it out ...  Bearing wasn't loose , didn't have a lack of grease,  water had made it in and it sat long enough to rough up the race!  Would have driven thousands of miles yet.   After changing it out it was amazing how quiet it was... Did the other side the next week just because...

• Like 1

If it starts as soon as you're moving or very near to it then it could be a wheel bearing or a diff. 

As you roll over bumps a bearing (and a diff to some extent) will momentarily change pitch. 

If it's Uni joints in the drive shaft you'll have via ration typically under a certain load or at a certain speed. Above or below this speed it will usually disappear. And it may be accompanied with a rumbling like sound. 

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie,

Its that diff ,, that scares me.   I can change a wheel bearing , I think I can change a u joint,  And I know I can change a cv axle.    But  a differential is another animal.   There is different noises.  Ill try to take it for a ride and get an idea.  But there is definitely a whine..

Have you checked the front diff oil level?

if it's low it could cause this whining noise and it may go away once it's at the correct level. 

If the front diff is the culprit and become worse, it'll be easier to fit a new transmission in there. 

If it's a rear diff they're relatively easy - just swap the whole diff ;)

I'm hoping for you that it's a wheel bearing or something simple over a transmission swap...

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Lets hope for low oil in the front diff.Or a wheel bearing.   Rear diff is less bolts, but where deadeye lives is rust country.  Changing out the tranny could be easy compared to breaking free large rusty bolts , robot tightened 22 years ago... Here's an idea !!!   Installing a teenage sound system could drown out the other noises. Sadly your adult brain might implode or something listening to ear drum rattling bass. OR MAYBE that bass will loosen those diff bolts...