Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy GT- 4EAT now only has two gears after unplanned offroad trip

My 17 year son ended up running off the road to try to avoid a turtle (new driver- rookie mistake). He ended up driving it onto an a grassy embankment then back onto the road.  I drove the car home and noticed it would shift out of 1st at about 4500 RPM into 3rd gear and getting it up to 55 MPH is was still in third. It was not giving any CEL's or TPU codes and the engine runs normally.

I went underneath today and there isn't any significant damage (just a lot of mud and grass). The transmission pan is pushed in maybe 1/8" or so in the center (after comparing it to the way the pan on the wagon looks), but I'm not sure something that slight would damage anything sitting inside the pan. I've attached a pic of the transmission pan.

I also checked the transmission fluid (still pinkish- I did a couple of drain and fills after getting the car last year) and it's at the correct level. Other than this, the car runs and drives fine.

The other noticeable damage is to the front bumper and plastic liners behind it along with the driving lights (one is still up there someplace).

The other issue is noticeable positive camber to the right rear wheel. i suspect the bottom of the wheel was pushed in during the trip off and back on the road. What suspension part would most likely have been bent, and what would be involved with replacing it?

20180915_transmission pan.jpg

Steve;

Hate to tell you this but, under that trans pan are plastic capped solenoids.  They are RIGHT under the pan. You can break them using a floor jack in the wrong place. You are going to have to drop the pan and inspect... no avoiding it, short of paying a shop to do it.  If you find broken solenoids , hit up a wrecking yard for replacements.

Rear suspension,      could be trailing arms,  could be strut,  could be lower control arm got bent . Your just going to have to get in and compare to the other side.