Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Luckily and not-lucky or not? (little dealer rant)

Usually I hardly visit the dealer and I was onced proven that I should avoid this one for sure in future. 

I had brought my 09 OBW (2003-2009 model) on LPG in for valve clearance adjustment, as LPG can wear the valve seats faster. I had only visited this dealer once before to replace the CV-boot and stabiliser ends and had an OK impression. Note that the number of official dealers in Netherlands is pretty low, and keep in mind that of the OBW from 2004 to 2009 only 2500 cars were sold in the Netherlands!! So it is rare and finding a good dealer or workshop with Subaru experience is quite touch. 

It took them 4 to 5 hours to check and adjust the valve clearance. I think this is WAY to much time. But ok, i can not judge as I have never done this myself on this car. I picked up the car and drove home with a quite constant smell of gasoline. Remember once running on LPG the gasoline injectors are shut off and but the fuel system remains pressurised. After 15 minute drive I arrived at home and opened the hood. Literally the whole engine compartment was drenched in gasoline. The cylinder 2 injector was blowing gasoline everywhere. I pulled the plug of the fuel pump and it stopped spraying. 

Road side assistance (dutch AAA) which has a good reputation had a quick look (as it is for 'free') and took the fuel rail of 2/4 off and showed a half missing seal rubber! This means for sure that they did not install it correctly and broke it and that for sure they did not test drive it. Amazing it did not burn down, knowing last week ik filled the gasoline tank full and LPG tank (110 L of fuel!).

Questions:

What is a reasonable time for valve clearance adjust and check working time? For me it is really valve covers off, fuel system off (injectors and rail) 1 timing belt cover to see cam position and measure from underneath as this gives best access, replace seals and reinstall.

Once the fuel injectors are out, which seals do you normally replace?

Was I lucky no BOOM happened?

To put costs in perspective, One previous dealer (far away) costed 490 euro for ATF, Diff F, Diff R, LPG spark plugs and valve clearance adjust, this costed 466 euro only for valve check.

Popping the valve cover is a little more difficult on this car than on others.I unbolt the motor mounts and raise it up to get clearance for pulling the Vc.  No need to touch the fuel rail at all.  I also do not pull a timing cover.  Hand turn the motor on each cylinder when one pair of exhaust valves is open adjust the intakes, roll it over and adjust the exhaust valves. Takes about an hour a side.

In my shop a valve adjust would run you apx $150  US

Yes  !!! you were very lucky (or the dealer was) that your car did not burst into flames.

The newer one's like that you have to jack the engine out of the cradle. My guess is they didn't do this and instead tried to remove the 2/4 valve cover by taking the injector death shield off and in the process also moved the fuel rail and made the job WAY harder than it needed to be. Completely incompetent IMO. This whole job should take about 2 hours for an experienced tech. 

GD