Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a transmission. Do it pay the core or..

Your post is  kind of confusing toad.   You found a tranny where?   Is it local ? If so give them the old one and forget it. If it has to be shipped (like to foreign  engines) Then keep it and pay the core.   I doubt you'll be able to sell much from your old one certainly not $100 worth (imo)

pay the core fee and keep your trans until after the swap. I always seem to end up grabbing something part wise off the donor.   If you are all done, and want to take the core back after and it won't cost you too much in time or fuel, then take the core back after you are complete.  That is what I usually do.

Well of course you pay the core up front.  Unless you do the whole job of removal first then go get your tranny.  (who would do that)  Get your tranny bring it home pull your old one out , steal whatever parts you want and bring them back a core.   No shop expects a core until the job is done.

okay guys thanks for the input.

First of all sorry about the post being confusing. I was on the clock and tried to post really fast. Apparently it was way too fast.

I have taken my outback to my place of employment to start this swap. It is kind of nice being able to do this kind of work in a climate controlled garage which I don't have at home.

So tomorrow after work I'll go to our grounds shop and start the removal process and I'll be taking the core to the yard that the used AT is coming from.

I have no idea what a junkyard wants with the core but ooh well. I'm not sure what I should strip from the old AT but solenoids come to mind first. I'm pretty sure the clutch packs are gone in the old one since I had no transmission codes but I didn't have AWD.

Thank you all for your input. I am greatful.

Any other comments or suggestions are much appreciated 

I'm pondering that option right now. The only thing that makes that such a tough call is the transmission that fit my criteria is 225 or so miles away. Returning the core later makes that a 1000 trip.

I wish I could have found one with decent milage much closer but subarus aren't quite as popular here as they are in other places 

I've checked Craigslist and had no luck which suprised me because I've seen them crashed on there before and I've even purchased a subaru legacy L on there that turned out to be an awesome deal.

I finished pulling the transmission on mine yesterday after work. I ended up not pulling the engine a 3Rd time and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

I've also gotten all of the external parts and the exhaust hanger off of it but I'm still nervous about needing something off of it after the exchange so I will call them today and ask about waiving the core charge.

Thanks for the input guys 

/No they refused to waive the core but after leaving at 5am and getting back at 4pm I now have the used transmission bolted in but it's still at the shop and I'll finish hooking everything back up in the morning. 

Thankfully I have a good friend at work that jumped at the idea to make a road trip out of it with me because there is a pretty good chance my old van would not have made it.

I made sure he didn't have to spend a dime on food or gas. I figured it was the least I could do. 

• Like 1

I actually thought about taking pictures and writing it up but because it was probably not the safest way to install it and as some of you know I don't always articulate my thoughts effectively and if my technique were to be exposed I would likely be banned from working on my stuff at our shop and possibly kicked off the safety committee lol