Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 rx a/c parts

19 minutes ago, DaveT said:

If it is still working, except for refrigerant,  its much easier to go on ebay, get a couple cans of r12 and keep it stock.  Better performance also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-12-Refrigerant-3-National-R-12-Can-Usa-made-genuine-12oz-Can/222647142150?epid=0&hash=item33d6cdc706:g:l9oAAOSwj9dZvXqR

If its all leaked out, find the leak with dye & a black light, fix it. Then remove the compressor, drain the mineral oil & refill it with fresh oil before you recharge it with R-12.  Four Seasons website has fill capacities for oil & R12. Oils can hold contaminants in suspension for a long time.

Edited by czny
  • Sad 1

the law says that 1994 Vehicles and up began using R134a, but i've only seen it on 1995 and up Subaru's.

but i don't understand what the big scare is, go to batozone, get yourself the 2 fitting adaptors that go over the R12 Fittings, wala!

but i know you gotta get rid of the remaining R12 in there, "gotta recover it somehow since you're in California or they'll burn you at the stake". then try to calculate how much oil you just drained from the compressor, i think it's somewhere between 2-4 ounces of compressor oil, seal it up, vacuum it out, and add R134a Refrigerant.

or just go to Mexico and get R12 like i do, although didn't know they sold it on ebay though like Dave T said, after looking at it myself, it's about double to triple the price of what R134a costs... Much cheaper in Mexico but considering you're in the middle of California, it may not be worth it for you.

I've been doing AC for 20+ years and I've never heard of condensers being rated. An aluminum condenser is an aluminum condenser. It doesn't care what refrigerant is running through it. What does matter is the seals, o-rings and oil. They must be rated for the type of refrigerant you use. Change those out accordingly, get the charge port adapters and then recharge with R134a and increase the charge 25% to compensate for the loss of cooling efficiency from R12 to R134. I've done close to 100 conversions over the years and never had an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, Subasaurus said:

the law says that 1994 Vehicles and up began using R134a, but i've only seen it on 1995 and up Subaru's.

but i don't understand what the big scare is, go to batozone, get yourself the 2 fitting adaptors that go over the R12 Fittings, wala!

but i know you gotta get rid of the remaining R12 in there, "gotta recover it somehow since you're in California or they'll burn you at the stake". then try to calculate how much oil you just drained from the compressor, i think it's somewhere between 2-4 ounces of compressor oil, seal it up, vacuum it out, and add R134a Refrigerant.

or just go to Mexico and get R12 like i do, although didn't know they sold it on ebay though like Dave T said, after looking at it myself, it's about double to triple the price of what R134a costs... Much cheaper in Mexico but considering you're in the middle of California, it may not be worth it for you.

I should have done that to begin with - too late now.

something people tell me but i've never had it happen to me before, they say R134a is a smaller molecule than R12, therefore when slapping a different refrigerant through the same hoses, it'll leak out very slowly, like a whole year before it needs a refill, im at 5 years on a 93 impreza, 3 years on a 89GL, and a year and a half on a 79GL, i haven't had leaks, maybe the hoses are of better quality on a Subaru, don't know...