Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have a working EJ25 out of a 2000 Outback collecting dust in my garage. I'd like to buy a decent, newer Outback with a bad engine to put it in. I'm currently looking at a 2007 that's in good shape except for the engine. What issues will I encounter with this swap? I believe the main one is that the ECU relies on the MAP for load calculations for one engine and the MAF on the other? Am I correct that I should be OK if I use the intake from the 2007 on my good long block. Both are automatic transmission. Which, if any sensors do I need to swap into my engine from the blown 2007? Much thanks in advance for any advice.

Only 99-01 need mcgivering on the pcv , 02+ pcv are the same as 07.   The short block is the same for a long time,only the  heads changed in 06.

On any swap, the intake , cam gear and crank gear MUST stay with the original car .  There are exceptions to that, but as a general rule that's what matches the ecu.

Moving the heads, intake, cam & crank gears from the 07 to the 00 engine would not be much extra work if that would allow me to use my engine in the car. I have head gaskets and timing belt kit sitting on the engine in my garage waiting to be installed when I find a car to put it in. That's assuming the 07 heads are good. Apparently engine was run low on oil so that isn't a given but I suspected the damage was probably crank/rod bearings.

I checked out the car yesterday and it's a pretty good vehicle except for the engine. One issue I found has me stumped though. The car has sat for a few months and the battery is dead, so I put the jumper cables on to power it up and check that everything seems operational and see if any codes were set. Even without the key in it was drawing a lot of current and the abs hydraulic unit was making noise like the pump was running. Any ideas on what could be going on? Why would the hydraulic unit be powered up even with the key off?

Still looking for a good 00-05 I could put my engine into, but so far haven't found anything decent and this is a pretty nice car at a good price.

Edited by Subberman

It looks like the oil pans are different on the motors.  Seems like I have to use the pan from 07. Gaskets are the same.  I wonder about the oil pick up tube in the pan if they are the same or if I need the 07 one.   Anyone have any idea.  The 01 engine is still in the car.