Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Outbach has fuel, good compression, spark, timing correct, wont start.

21 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Sounds like all the shops in town that end up towing the car to me when they can't figure out the problem. Yet another hack with "experience" that means nothing. Without a systematic, unbiased method, you'll just spin your wheels like that.

Maybe it's not the injectors.  But that's what the data points to. You go where the data takes you, not where you "believe" the problem to be. 

GD

You and i were both right. I said right from the start it was either fuel or timing, so today i pulled the injectors from a car that ran until the engine went, put those injectors in my car, and it ran perfect, at least, right up until the exhaust came apart right before the muffler, but, i knew that was eventually going to happen anyway, since it was getting a bit rusty on that flange (ok, so even after the exhaust came apart, it still ran fine, it was just louder is all). One of my tests was to unplug the fuel pump, disconnect the feed and return lines from the fuel rail, connected the feed line to a pump i have, and ran a hose from that into a gas can, then, ran a hose from the return line back to the gas can, and it still wouldn't start, so i said then it was injectors or possibly FPR, and that's when his argument started about never having seen all the injectors get plugged at the same time. I kind of made him mad today, because i said, from now, im listening to my instincts, and not what he says.

• Like 1

I figured out exactly what happened, because it happened again. The factory fuel lines have plastic in them, and they were breaking up and plugging the fuel rails and injectors. It also didn't help the gas is half water, so i put some k100 in it, and i am going to let it sit for a bit, then put some no ethanol premium in it as well.

• Like 1