Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any ideas? This found in oil pan.

I just changed oil in my 95 Legacy 2.2 AWD 105K  . I decided to stick my finger in the drain hole to see if there was any crud on the bottom of the pan. I felt this loose object! I placed a magnet rod in the hole and picked up what is pictured. What is it? I have had the car since 1999 and there is no issue with the engine. This may have been in the pan for many years. It is steel and has a slight uniform bend in it....it's a perfect 1/2 circle. Ideas? Anything to now worry about all of a sudden?

Todd

DSCN5793.JPG

DSCN5794.JPG

DSCN5795.JPG

It's half of one of the spring washers used to separate the rocker arms. It just fatigued and broke - the other half is somewhere. Way too big to get sucked into the oil pickup so not really a problem. Just pull the valve covers, and looks like its time for some maintenance. Replace all those washers and a good time to do the lifter o-rings.

GD

• Like 3

Can I ask another quick question?? This same car is OBD2, although it's an early 1995. When reading the computer, EGR and CAT are never ready. I have read that they will never be ready on these early cars. Is that just normal. Car runs fine, no issues. Passed emissions like brand new, (tailpipe sniffer)

29 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Yes that's the part you need. 4 per side (8). Also get 16 of part # 13396.

The lack of readiness completion is normal for 95/96 models and was addressed by filing a variance with the EPA. It is a known and ignored issue at all testing stations nationwide. 

GD

Do 97 ej22 mechanical rocker assys use the same spring washers?

42 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Yes that's the part you need. 4 per side (8). Also get 16 of part # 13396.

The lack of readiness completion is normal for 95/96 models and was addressed by filing a variance with the EPA. It is a known and ignored issue at all testing stations nationwide. 

GD

Thanks so much!!!